Acoustune AS2002 Portable USB DAC - Kasei Electronics “AK4493S”
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 16
I am listening to the AS2002 now, having received it from MTMTAudio a couple days ago. There are a couple quirks, but I love the sound and this is likely a keeper. Here are early impressions:

Pros:
-Sound! My IEMs are driven with authority. A fun sound signature with deep bass, good vocals, and non-fatiguing but detailed highs. At the risk of giving too many subjective opinions that would make people on audiosciencereview cringe, this is one of the most technical, yet musical dongles I’ve ever heard.
-Expansive soundstage and imaging.
-Seems very powerful. I’m not using more than 25% of the volume range on any of my IEMs or headphones (listed in signature).
-The MagSafe connection works perfectly on my iPhone. The magnet is super strong and there is no way this thing is falling off. My iPhone feels like a high quality DAP with this thing attached. Why didn’t anyone think of this earlier? Awesome!

Cons:
-On an iPhone, the volume control is not independent. In other words, clicking the button just adjusts the volume on the phone, so there are only 16 steps (unless you drag the slider up and down on your iPhone). This behavior is similar to that described with the AK HC4, which has the same DAC chip - so perhaps the janky volume control is a limitation of the chip?
-Some EMI noise when cellular data is turned on; but none on WiFi, so not a big deal to me.
-Battery drain seems kind of high, but I am still testing. Perhaps it has a high quality amp that is not power efficient?

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 16
As an update, I mentioned above that I occasionally experienced a bit of EMI noise while on mobile data. I noticed that it only occurs when the device is connected to the back of my iPhone via MagSafe. Otherwise, no EMI noise.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 16
Any particular sets sound correct on this dongle?
So far, I am listening to the U4s and IE900 and enjoying both. The lack of independent volume control on the iPhone is not ideal, though.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 16
As an update, I mentioned above that I occasionally experienced a bit of EMI noise while on mobile data. I noticed that it only occurs when the device is connected to the back of my iPhone via MagSafe. Otherwise, no EMI noise.

"device is connected to the back of my iPhone via MagSafe" - if this is the case, than it would be a bit disappointing. I would use it that way.

Torben

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 16
"device is connected to the back of my iPhone via MagSafe" - if this is the case, than it would be a bit disappointing. I would use it that way.

Torben

So far, I only experience EMI noise when the dongle is attached to the MagSafe and I am on cellular data. It is not very frequent.

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 16
I have been using the AS2002 connected to my iPhone 15 Pro today, mainly with my JM Audio XTC2 open back headphones (64 ohms impedance/113.5 dB sensitivity). I am only using about 25% of the available volume in normal gain mode. Sound is clear and engaging, but non-fatiguing. Pretty darn close to my desktop setup! I have not heard any EMI noise today, but I am on Wifi and the dongle is right next to the phone - not attached via MagSafe.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 16
I have been using the AS2002 connected to my iPhone 15 Pro today, mainly with my JM Audio XTC2 open back headphones (64 ohms impedance/113.5 dB sensitivity). I am only using about 25% of the available volume in normal gain mode. Sound is clear and engaging, but non-fatiguing. Pretty darn close to my desktop setup! I have not heard any EMI noise today, but I am on Wifi and the dongle is right next to the phone - not attached via MagSafe.
Thanks a lot for the update! Happy to read that its a fun, non fatiguing signature, as im planning on using it mainly with U4s and Titan, which are both engaging iems.
Hopefully it will be an upgrade from DC04 pro :)

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 16
I am using mine with a Samsung s21 ultra, every now and then I hear a faint "digital click" kind of sound, is that what you mean by EMI noise?

Does your as2002gets hot as well? Like, uncomfortably hot (I know it is around 30C where I'm at currently but still....)

And I've also noticed it drains my phone battery kinda fast.

It does sound great with the symphonium Titan, though!

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #13 of 16
I am using mine with a Samsung s21 ultra, every now and then I hear a faint "digital click" kind of sound, is that what you mean by EMI noise?

Does your as2002gets hot as well? Like, uncomfortably hot (I know it is around 30C where I'm at currently but still....)

And I've also noticed it drains my phone battery kinda fast.

It does sound great with the symphonium Titan, though!

If I am on cellular data, occasionally I will hear a couple seconds of interference if a text is being received, etc. - mostly when connected to the MagSafe.

It definitely gets a little warm, but not uncomfortably so in my case, though I am not running it at high volumes. Battery drain is somewhat fast as well (reminds me of the Cayin RU7 in that respect), but as you noted, the sound is good.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 16
If I am on cellular data, occasionally I will hear a couple seconds of interference if a text is being received, etc. - mostly when connected to the MagSafe.

It definitely gets a little warm, but not uncomfortably so in my case, though I am not running it at high volumes. Battery drain is somewhat fast as well (reminds me of the Cayin RU7 in that respect), but as you noted, the sound is good.
I don't think I'm not running it at higher volumes either; less than 50% on the S21 ultra. And what I mean by uncomfortably hot is that I wouldn't want to hold it in my hand for 5 minutes or more. This is while driving the symphonium Titan after an hour or so, I haven't tried it with anything else.

Oh, and I think the clicking sound I was hearing only shows up when using spotify for some reason even though I haven't noticed it using other dacs

Edit: I tried a different source and the clicking is gone as well as the temperature is much more "normal", it isn't uncomfortable to hold anymore even after extended hours of listening. I do think having tested it during a particularly hot day had some effects on the temperature of the as2002 :p

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 16
After a long listening session today, I can say that the AS2002 is my favorite dongle to date. It is really immersive and detailed, and my U4s sounds well-separated and holographic. Bass hits with authority and vocals are slightly forward - just right. I did not experience any hiss or interference today, but listened on WiFi exclusively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back