Acoustic Zen MC2 - best digital interconnect in this price range?
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #31 of 40
I am currently using the Oyaide DR-510. Soft, clear details with a natural sound. Might send it out to cryo in a few weeks. Another option would be the Ridge Street Audio P!!! R-v3 DIGITAL MASTER. Eichmann (non-locking) bullets, solid silver conductor like the DR-510, factory cryo treated. Around $400, but I read its signature is focused on the type of sound you are looking for. Might be my next cable. Then again, I may decide to splurge and spring for the Shunyata Python Digital IC. That way I will complete a Shunyata loom (interconnects and power).

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
Dave, could you tell me what are the weak sides of Audio-Magic interconnects?

Guys, have you ever listened to Anti Cables ICs? What do you think about them?

Excalibur II is a silver ribbon cable, and is more "old style" Audio-Magic. Rich, dynamic, powerful, with plenty of detail, but a midrange that is a little dry. The Liquid Air series is not quite as dynamic (or at least the entry models aren't. I haven't heard Clairvoyant Liquid Air) but more than make up for it by improving in pretty much every other area - noise floor (not being made of metal helps with that), soundstage, mid-bass, midrange, and treble detail, and overall tonal balance.

The anti-cables are OK for the price, but there's nothing particularly special about them. The idea that they are "more transparent, dynamic and "life like" than any other cable I have ever heard." is simply laughable, that or the designer has heard very few cables besides his own.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #33 of 40
Thank you for the last recommendations!

While I've been reading about them, I've encountered Purist Audio cables which look very promising to me. According to reviews and people's impressions they tend to be warmer, darker and heavier in bass and midrange. Actually this is something that would suit my system. 
I've been also told they are well-suited for headphone-based systems because of their great musicality and extremely low noise floor.

Have you ever had any experience with Musaeus or Elementa Advance or Aqueus Aureus or other Purist Audio analog interconnects?

Any information would be very helpful.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
While I've been reading about them, I've encountered Purist Audio cables which look very promising to me. According to reviews and people's impressions they tend to be warmer, darker and heavier in bass and midrange. Actually this is something that would suit my system. 
I've been also told they are well-suited for headphone-based systems because of their great musicality and extremely low noise floor.

Have you ever had any experience with Musaeus or Elementa Advance or Aqueus Aureus or other Purist Audio analog interconnects?

I have heard some of the very expensive Purist cables like Dominus and Venustas, but not the more affordable stuff. Dominus is VERY quiet, but it leans pretty heavily in favor of the warm and relaxed side. Venustas is a little more balanced and up front. I'd suggest contacting them if you're interested, each of the PAD cable lines goes in a somewhat different direction in terms of the sound.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #35 of 40

Quote:

I have heard some of the very expensive Purist cables like Dominus and Venustas, but not the more affordable stuff. Dominus is VERY quiet, but it leans pretty heavily in favor of the warm and relaxed side. Venustas is a little more balanced and up front. I'd suggest contacting them if you're interested, each of the PAD cable lines goes in a somewhat different direction in terms of the sound.

Good idea. I'll contact PAD to ask for more info.

And regarding the Audio-Magic The Liquid Air ICs, would you say they have full-bodied midrange. How is their weight in bass. My system is leaning towards bright side with more energy in upper mids and treble and I would like a cable that will balance it with heavier low-mids and bass. I am wondering if the Audio-Magic is not too good (too neutral) for me.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #36 of 40

Quote:

And regarding the Audio-Magic The Liquid Air ICs, would you say they have full-bodied midrange. How is their weight in bass. My system is leaning towards bright side with more energy in upper mids and treble and I would like a cable that will balance it with heavier low-mids and bass. I am wondering if the Audio-Magic is not too good (too neutral) for me.

The Liquid Air cables are very detailed in the upper mid and treble region, but there's absolutely no harshness or brightness up top at all. The negative qualities that cables like the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference have are completely absent. Midrange is full bodied, without the slightly thin and dry sound of the earlier Audio-Magic silver ribbon cables like Excalibur. The one area where the entry Liquid Air cable comes up a little bit short is in deep bass and slam, it's just a little polite in that area. At the $400 level though, it's very tough to beat. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
The Liquid Air cables are very detailed in the upper mid and treble region, but there's absolutely no harshness or brightness up top at all. The negative qualities that cables like the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference have are completely absent. Midrange is full bodied, without the slightly thin and dry sound of the earlier Audio-Magic silver ribbon cables like Excalibur. The one area where the entry Liquid Air cable comes up a little bit short is in deep bass and slam, it's just a little polite in that area. At the $400 level though, it's very tough to beat. 

Thank you for the very helpful information, Dave!

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #38 of 40
Hi Korzena: Excellent post --and rebuttal against JRG 1990/JRG 1995 --I thought these guys vanished with the dinosaurs !

The Acoustic Zen line, in general, is excellent -- I have not heard the MC-2 (squared) personally , but users speak very highly of them.
 I am familiar with other AZ product, including Interconnects, speaker wire and power cords --all excellent !

What I'd strongly recommend --down the road, is for you to consider a Balanced/Symmetrical 120-V AC Power Supply/"Conditioner"
(or, better yet, a dedicated AC power Re-generator --such as a PS Audio power-Plant. A 300 watt model is all that would be required.

The performance gains (sound quality) are staggering ! Use of a quality Balanced/Symmetrical Power Supply (also in the 500-800-Watt range)
is similarly impressive. Martin Glasband (of Equi=tech) stated jitter reduction of 50% using Balanced AC power.

What I do know is that all of my source components --Tuner, CDP, DAC (and likely T/T) all sound much better fed a clean AC power signal. 

Stick with Acoustic Zen MC-squared digital first, then consider above.

Good luck.

peter

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Digital audio travels as a wave down the cable not 1's & 0's , the cables resistance can have affects on jitter by attenuating the highest frequencies , but for this to be audiable the resistance would have to be extremly high and the run of cable 10metres + , with a 1.5metre with the resistance of the belden cable theres nothing to worry about the cable is more than good enough for the job and theres nothing to gain from replacing it.

Wow ! What would be do without your inimitable insight.

pj

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #40 of 40
I know you're not here for the cable-discussion but seriously man, we're just looking out for you. I mean, it's your money and all but do consider reconsidering! :) Spend that hard earned cash on something worth it.

You do realize someone could just braid a fancy sleeve over a $30 Monoprice cable, add some carbon-looking connectors, give it a fancy name and sell it to you for $300 right? I swear, if you tell people a magic cable will make their setup "more musical" they'll believe it, but only if the price is high enough. :D

Negakinu: How gracious and kind of you "look out for us" with your deep, indisputable expertise. Without folk like yourself gifted with such wisdom, there would be company's such as Audioquest, Wireworld, Kimber, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen and other similar fanciful company names selling expensive snake-oil, Thank you for your altruism. You've saved so many from financial (and musical) collapse with your indisputable expertise.

pj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back