Acoustic Zen MC2 - best digital interconnect in this price range?
Jan 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #16 of 40
Thanks for reminding me of this very true fact.
However it is also a fact and my experience that there are better and worse cables. I've heard differences myself.
True, $300 might be too much to pay for a digital interconnect. Ideally I would like to spend up to half this sum ($150). If someone recommends me $300 cable, I will be trying to get a used one.
Even $150 might seem to be much for just a cable, but that's life! We buy lots of other stuff that is similarly overpriced...

Quote:
I know you're not here for the cable-discussion but seriously man, we're just looking out for you. I mean, it's your money and all but do consider reconsidering! :) Spend that hard earned cash on something worth

You do realize someone could just braid a fancy sleeve over a $30 Monoprice cable, add some carbon-looking connectors, give it a fancy name and sell it to you for $300 right? I swear, if you tell people a magic cable will make their setup "more musical" they'll believe it, but only if the price is high enough. :D

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #17 of 40
Theres nothing quite as over-priced as a $300 cable, and if you are hearing a gritty sound then the cable is the last thing that will be causing it I suggest you look at the other components in your system.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 40
I don't know what is more of a joke; organized religion, or people who believe these cables actually make a difference.

The science doesn't like, kiddos. Enjoy your placebo.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #19 of 40
I think my components are already OK. Now I am looking for the last optimization touches - cables.

Quote:
Theres nothing quite as over-priced as a $300 cable, and if you are hearing a gritty sound then the cable is the last thing that will be causing it I suggest you look at the other components in your system.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #20 of 40
As I said before I am not going to get into discussion about cables.

Looking forward to getting more recommendations of digital interconnects from head-fiers!

Quote:
I don't know what is more of a joke; organized religion, or people who believe these cables actually make a difference.
The science doesn't like, kiddos. Enjoy your placebo.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 40
Check out some cables from wireworld. 

As for all this "placebo" talk, I find it frustrating to read posts from members who offer their opinion when none was asked.  If you don't believe in cabling, that's cool, but this is not the thread to talk about.  Respect the OP and take your discussions to a relevant thread.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:
As for all this "placebo" talk, I find it frustrating to read posts from members who offer their opinion when none was asked.  If you don't believe in cabling, that's cool, but this is not the thread to talk about.  Respect the OP and take your discussions to a relevant thread.

It's not opinion it's fact.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
As I said before I am not going to get into discussion about cables.

Looking forward to getting more recommendations of digital interconnects from head-fiers!

Sorry Korzena, unfortunately this is what happens with every one of these threads, the OP asks for a quality cable recommendation, and you'll get a dozen people shouting at you "ALL CABLES ARE DUMB, BUY MONOPRICE DUMMY", as if that's in any way relevant or helpful.

I don't believe that the S/Pdif cable matters as much as speaker cables or power cords, and it's been my experience that diminishing returns set in pretty quickly above the $200ish mark. I wouldn't recommend a $1000 digital cable to anyone, not unless they already have a $100K system, and have gone as far as they can or they want to go with the rest of their equipment.

That being said, the Neotech NEVD-2001 is a superb digital cable, and is always my top recommendation. It's sold in bulk either by the foot or meter. Take Five Audio up in Canada sells a version that's pre-termindated with BNC, XHADOW, or WBT connectors, or you could just buy whatever length you require and then send it to Drew at Moon-Audio to be terminated however you wish. The bulk price is somewhere around $25/ft. You can spend a lot more, but you're unlikely to hear anything better. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #25 of 40

PrestigeWW, DaveBSC
Thank you for your recommendations.
It's also my opinion that a digital cable affects the sound less than other cables, but it still does so it's worth to have a decent one.
I'll check the cables you suggested.
All the best!

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #26 of 40

Quote:

PrestigeWW, DaveBSC
Thank you for your recommendations.
It's also my opinion that a digital cable affects the sound less than other cables, but it still does so it's worth to have a decent one.
I'll check the cables you suggested.
All the best!

Sure. VH Audio caries the Neotech, and Chris may be willing to terminate it for you, I'm not sure. VH also sells their own digital cable called the Pulsar AG, which I haven't heard but based on how good their unicrystal silver wire is, I'm guessing it's very good. I'm not really a fan of Acoustic Zen cables to answer your original question, and I think the Neotech can easily beat similar cables from other companies like the Hamonic Tech digital platinum, Cardas Lightning or Kimber AGDL.

You may want to look into the Audio Magic Liquid Air digital though, I'm a big fan of AM cables, they have very reasonable prices for a company that sells through dealers, and the Liquid Air cables are great and pretty unique. The sound isn't really like anything else.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #27 of 40
Thank you!

I am also looking for good analog interconnects ($500). Would you have some recommendations?

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #29 of 40
I know DaveBSC isn't a big fan of them, but I've got Acoustic Zens in my system.  Matrix Reference IIs and Silver Reference IIs.  I like them a lot, for what it's worth.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #30 of 40

Sure. The Audio-Magic Excalibur II and Liquid Air SE come to mind first, followed by Kubala Sosna Anticipation.

Quote:
I know DaveBSC isn't a big fan of them, but I've got Acoustic Zens in my system.  Matrix Reference IIs and Silver Reference IIs.  I like them a lot, for what it's worth.

Thanks a lot!

Regarding the Acoustic Zens, I now use Matrix Reference II interconnects. I appreciate these cables for their beautiful tones, spaciousness, good weight and bass and highs extensions. Unfortunately they made mids (especially vocals) almost disappear in my system. Also I feel they sound a bit nervous. So they do not have good synergy in my system and this is why I want to change them.
Dave, could you tell me what are the weak sides of Audio-Magic interconnects?

Guys, have you ever listened to Anti Cables ICs? What do you think about them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back