Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Dec 25, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,411 of 2,161
So, in prep for my who knows when it will arrive gift, anyone have any early suggestions on how (or if) I might want to setup my device (eq, etc) for my cans (Lcd-2). I know it's really is wholly subjective, but if there's any universal suggestions, I am all ears...... Hah!

Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,412 of 2,161
So, in prep for my who knows when it will arrive gift, anyone have any early suggestions on how (or if) I might want to setup my device (eq, etc) for my cans (Lcd-2). I know it's really is wholly subjective, but if there's any universal suggestions, I am all ears...... Hah!

Merry Christmas!
Firstly, upgrade FW from off. site

Dec 29, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,415 of 2,161
Hi there,

I'm looking for a protective case for this DAP, does anyone have any suggestion ?

P.S.: The AR website don't sell their stuff outside US...

Thx.

You could try getting the official case from AR (Voxx Int'l) Hong Kong. Send them an email. They sent me a free one with the AR-M2 I bought from them over a year ago.

Shipping to Mars might be pricey, tho'.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #1,417 of 2,161
Same here. Wrote an email to AR to buy a case. Situated in Switzerland. Never even got a reply.

I ordered a custom case at Easecase too via Aliexpress. Gonna take a couple o' weeks though...

Btw. Enjoying M2 a lot Changed IEMs to CA Dorado and am now using an IEMatch from IFi.

The sound quality with M2 is absolutely amazing.
Considering the device was realeased in 2015, it still beats the competition for a lot more money.

Sold my Fiio x7 mark ii as it did not stand a chance against the M2.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,418 of 2,161
Seriously.. waiting for UPS sucks hard. The player has been in my hometown now since Sat (no where in the town is greater than 15 minutes from me), but UPS is still saying delivery will happen on Wed. Fingers are crossed that as they start the processing for the week, they might actually deliver it tomorrow, but i am not getting my hopes up yet.

Still, my LCD-2's are primed and ready.. i cannot wait to get them a test run. I admit, reading the LCD-2 thread was disappointing, as people there weren't keen on the player being powerful enough for them, yet the reviews here and elsewhere say they sound great, so i hold that hope still...

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,420 of 2,161
Happy New Year to you all.

Question: Is the player ready to use replaygain tags with its own software?

Or do I have to install foobar app to get that? Or is there maybe any other good solution for making songs on the same db level?

Somewhere I read, third party apps are not able to bypass the android os like the player software. Any effects on the soundquality?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #1,421 of 2,161
Seriously.. waiting for UPS sucks hard. The player has been in my hometown now since Sat (no where in the town is greater than 15 minutes from me), but UPS is still saying delivery will happen on Wed. Fingers are crossed that as they start the processing for the week, they might actually deliver it tomorrow, but i am not getting my hopes up yet.

Still, my LCD-2's are primed and ready.. i cannot wait to get them a test run. I admit, reading the LCD-2 thread was disappointing, as people there weren't keen on the player being powerful enough for them, yet the reviews here and elsewhere say they sound great, so i hold that hope still...

Did you get the ar/m2?

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,422 of 2,161
Did you get the ar/m2?
Hey!

I meant to update the thread earlier, but my bad. Indeed i did, and ill be damned if this player doesn't sound great. Easily better than my Cowon P1 + Cayin c5 stack, all in one player. It easily drives my 2018 LCD-2 with authority, and i don't commonly go over what i estimate 60% volume. At its price, i have absolutely no regrets, and will be selling my other equipment as i don't feel i am losing out on anything there.

I would LOVE to see a newer android build, but that is simply aesthetics, since the player runs just fine. I haven't had any serious issues after the firmware update followed by a system reset (i do with with any android upgrade). So long as the player maintains this quality for a reasonable lifespan (several years), i will be more than happy.

Thanks for talking me into it guys!

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,423 of 2,161
Hey!

I meant to update the thread earlier, but my bad. Indeed i did, and ill be damned if this player doesn't sound great. Easily better than my Cowon P1 + Cayin c5 stack, all in one player. It easily drives my 2018 LCD-2 with authority, and i don't commonly go over what i estimate 60% volume. At its price, i have absolutely no regrets, and will be selling my other equipment as i don't feel i am losing out on anything there.

I would LOVE to see a newer android build, but that is simply aesthetics, since the player runs just fine. I haven't had any serious issues after the firmware update followed by a system reset (i do with with any android upgrade). So long as the player maintains this quality for a reasonable lifespan (several years), i will be more than happy.

Thanks for talking me into it guys!

my unit is a few years old and still operates as well as day one, my battery life is around 6 hours of constant use per charge (loose estimate).

you should get many years enjoyment from yours, and updating Android would assure that some streaming services would be compatible in the future

most important thing.... enjoy

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,424 of 2,161
Man, waiting for shipping sucks... But, I see someone else bought one (anyone from here?), so at least I am not alone.. :wink:

That was probably me! I notice at least one more has sold since I purchased mine just after Christmas.

I'm pretty blown away by the sound quality of the M2. It has essentially replaced everything I have used up until now. I was using a DarkVoice 336SE Tube amp or Topping A30 fed by a Topping D10 Dac fed into Hifiman HE4xx for most of my listening. For portable use, I had tried the Topping NX4 portable amp + Smartphone and found it almost as good as the D10+A30 but not quite up to the DarkVoice. I also found I hated having the portable amp piggybacked to the smartphone. I reasoned that if I must have two devices anyway, I should just buy a great DAP (and one with enough power to drive whatever I might throw at it). That led me to this thread. The sound quality and authority I'm hearing from the M2 is superior to all my previously used equipment. Crazy given it's size and current price. I have since purchased the Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee and man does it sound great with the M2.

I have used the M2 with the early firmware it shipped with, then the 2.56 firmware version and now the last 2.63 version as downloaded from the Acoustic Research web site. To my ears and using the Sennheiser HD 58x headphones, I find that the sound quality from the original AR Music Player is different than that produced from the newer AR Music Player PRO app. The original app seems to have a slightly deeper, fuller, more pronounced bass and maybe smoother, yet more lively mid range, which I prefer, when directly compared to the AR Music Player PRO app. Unfortunately, the original app is not as intuitive or easy to use as the USB Audio Player Pro based app but since I bought the M2 for ultimate sound quality, I find myself always using the older AR Music app. I don't know if this difference is simply down to default EQ sound choices made by the app developers or if its due to some technical difference in how each app utilizes the hardware.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone in this thread who let me know both how great this DAP is AND how to purchase a new one at such a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,425 of 2,161
I’m really happy that there’s still people who bought AR-M2. Thank you so so much! Deeply from my heart. It’s a really good DAP that should be promoted. Hope Acoustic Rssearch would works on their bugs, knowing that there are still people who appreciates their DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back