Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Oct 21, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #1,186 of 2,161
Just saw your post and snapped this...cuz my battery is about to die

Did negative EQ and made 63 my highest slider and got more punch and less shout.

Trying the EQ setting now with some Donald Fagen. It seems to add some velvet (with the iSine 20) to the low end and takes much of the bite out of the high end. I have a similar EQ setting for the Cipher Cable. Audeze house sound is a good start, but even their tuning needs some added tuning to match an individuals preference. When my kids get a bit older I plan on diving back into vinyl in a crappy attempt to relive my youth and/or to complete the circle from analog to digital and back again

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,187 of 2,161
Trying the EQ setting now with some Donald Fagen. It seems to add some velvet (with the iSine 20) to the low end and takes much of the bite out of the high end. I have a similar EQ setting for the Cipher Cable. Audeze house sound is a good start, but even their tuning needs some added tuning to match an individuals preference. When my kids get a bit older I plan on diving back into vinyl in a crappy attempt to relive my youth and/or to complete the circle from analog to digital and back again

People forget the old Marantz ( I have 2 thanks to the many Japanese recycle electronic shops) have tone controls. It has been that way since the old dudes on here were kids or before they were born. Considering the built in ability to adjust since home systems have been around a lot of people balk at EQ.

They are not audiophiles any more than me. Maybe kinda clueless...definitely more than me

Planar lets me increase bass via negative EQ and not bother mids and treble. It's genius cake and eat it too kind of stuff. And this DAP...not being super popular? Proof of the tour game and hype trains. My poor X7II is getting ready for a comparative beating on video. Oh well. Love it..but love this more.

20171016_213032_001[1].jpg

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,188 of 2,161
I've been on this quest since the mid 70's when I was delivering the Penny Saver while pedaling an old Schwinn bike to feed my habit. I also have learned to trust me and use others opinion as a starting point (although I do have my own ranking system as to whom to trust). I haven't bothered doing a comparison to anything I currently own, but am confident this is in my top 3. I was initially concerned with the age of the operating system and compatibility to Tidal and other apps, but to be honest the current ones run adequately enough that I doubt this will be an issue down the road. I was also pleased to learn AR is still maintaining the firmware and not shuffling the thing aside with another "new and improved" version. and on a side note, Morph the Cat with your EQ settings has Freddie Washington's bass thumping and bumping better than I have heard in a while. It still amazes me how taking something away actually improves the sound and I need a subtle reminder now and again that its not all about full throttle

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #1,189 of 2,161
schwin.jpg

I had this exact one and delivered the Boston Globe. Sunday edition was hell....huge heavy tree murdering newspaper :)...all those poor trees

I practically learned how to read using the liner notes of Dark Side of the Moon. I used to make themes for the X5 gen 1 and they were all vinyl/retro based.
Yeah the cutting in late bass ( roundabouts) gives the psycho acoustic illusion of space between bass guitar and drums that occupy identical sonic bands at the same moment. Makes the bass snap better.

Doobie Brothers "Taking it to the Street" opening bass line is great snap check for me. Can hear the pull ,release. and resonating of the string. AR is pretty cool for getting the UAPP customized for them as it is the most trustworthy app when it comes to telling me what android sees and what is really coming out. You can remove that orange button in settings if it ever annoys you. This thing is like an amp/dac but it's a dap with no stack. Love the power stage. Dynamics is power...power is dynamic. IMO

So Schwinn....long time no think about that name :)

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,190 of 2,161

So Schwinn....long time no think about that name :)

20171021_130321977_iOS.jpg

Mine was blue with a bar like the one on the back of Peter Fonda's "Easy Rider" bike. Might have to go back to the old neighborhood the next time I visit the folks. And to commemorate my 500th post a little "Lunch With Gina" and the iSine's creepy cousin. My photography skills suck, but hey its all I got

edit - the EQ setting works well on the Sine also. I did have to drop .5 db in the low end because of a strange harmonic thing that goes on inside my left ear with planars. a bit in the right side also, but primarily the left

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,191 of 2,161
Any signs of AM3?

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #1,192 of 2,161
20171022_145206[1].jpg

Mine was blue with a bar like the one on the back of Peter Fonda's "Easy Rider" bike. Might have to go back to the old neighborhood the next time I visit the folks. And to commemorate my 500th post a little "Lunch With Gina" and the iSine's creepy cousin. My photography skills suck, but hey its all I got

edit - the EQ setting works well on the Sine also. I did have to drop .5 db in the low end because of a strange harmonic thing that goes on inside my left ear with planars. a bit in the right side also, but primarily the left

LOL at creepy cousin.
Everybody can relate to that :)

I have not been back to my original hometown since i was a little terror on my schwinn. I think that it fine by them.

Any signs of AM3?

Looks like they are focusing on the planar headphones...though i would be interested in anything they put out like this jewel.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,194 of 2,161
Thank you for your reply. I'm skeptical, as Acoustic Research has been promising various updates for over a year. As a prospective AR customer, I'd appreciate better communication; I'd need to know that my expensive purchase is adequately supported.

Kind regards,
Brian

I can't agree with you more! Finally, here comes 2.6.3, at least the player pro speeds up a bit when I m trying to slide down the long list of songs.

Almost 2 years since I've purchased this powerful device, nothing much to complain about BUT the Battery Life and Firmware Support .

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #1,196 of 2,161
I can't agree with you more! Finally, here comes 2.6.3, at least the player pro speeds up a bit when I m trying to slide down the long list of songs.

Almost 2 years since I've purchased this powerful device, nothing much to complain about BUT the Battery Life and Firmware Support .
As far as I can tell, Acoustic Research stopped promoting the M2 some twelve months ago. I'm glad they released new firmware; it wouldn't surprise me if it's the last update.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #1,198 of 2,161
upload_2017-10-26_9-24-35.png

Roxanne

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,200 of 2,161
I'm considering buying this. Does the Pro Player support proper folder browsing (that allows you to navigate through the directory tree, rather than showing you flattened list of every folder on the device)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back