Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,021 of 2,161
ok @irablumberg
just seen you've already discovered it :)

after the suggestion of @bcarr112281 I wrote to HK facebook of AR and they gave me the same link reported here.

I think they have to give more evidence because when I saw the base of that player I had a revelation, since this new player it is exactly like the USB Audio Player of the Extreme Software "renamed" into AR player and able to work in their ARM2. Yes, because I bought it and I'm using it in mobile phone but because of playstore missing in ARM2 it is not possibile to use it in the AR players....

AR did the best they could do: they had the idea of using that base for their new player. Now SACD ISO, cue, etc, everything can be read. No more problems for vbr mp3 ......wow, wow wow wow wow wow !!!

new life for the Burr Brown !!!

... And it is also a good player to be seen with all the modern functions to manage the name of the artist, album etc, link with internet database etc etc etc... Almost perfect.

Now they should solve the battery draining if you stop listening to music and you leave the player in pause, even if the screen is off, the battery in 1 hour drops too much fast....

P.S.: I see that with this super player I'm able to read DSD256... but how is this operation exactly done? since the ARM2 specific are for DSD 64/128 as native. By now the only player I know that goes to 512 as a native is ibasso Dx200...

ciaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :)))))))))

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,029 of 2,161
Hi all
Just thought I would pick your brains.
I had the Ar m20 DAP and sold it a while ago. I now have the Onkyo dpx1.
I was thinking of getting the M2. Is there much between the M2 and M20. I use Iems and read that the M2 may not be best suited
Cheers

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,030 of 2,161
Hi all
Just thought I would pick your brains.
I had the Ar m20 DAP and sold it a while ago. I now have the Onkyo dpx1.
I was thinking of getting the M2. Is there much between the M2 and M20. I use Iems and read that the M2 may not be best suited
Cheers
Yes, supposedly there is a major difference in sound quality between the two DAPs.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to wonder whether the M2 has a future, at least in North America. Acoustic Research couldn't be bothered to announce the availability of new playback software. And firmware updates? Fuggedaboutit! The last official version was released well over a year ago, and there's no sign of further development. (Indeed, although I still want to buy an M2, AR's site no longer even offers M2's firmware for download.)

Well, what say you all? Perhaps @robfol would care to respond?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #1,031 of 2,161
Well, what say you all? Perhaps @robfol would care to respond?

Hiya, I am not involved anymore, but I do know that Acoustic Research are developing new firmware and that the M2 will get a new media player quite soon. Cheers Robert

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,033 of 2,161
in addition to the 2.5.6 you know c is another newer firmware?
Hi, @cirodts -

Are you referring to firmware 2.6.0? My understanding is that 2.6 is technically unfinished--abandoned--and I doubt Acoustic Research will officially release it. Last year AR hinted that a massive new version was imminent, presumably firmware 3.0. However, in recent months the company has shown little interest in the M2, with no communication about its future development. I realize a new playback app is available, yet I've become aware of it only from checking AR's Hong Kong Facebook page. (Indeed, it's in Chinese!) Keep in mind the new app is a "release candidate," and its status hasn't changed since the end of July. . . .

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,035 of 2,161
hello, the AR sounds great pity that the AR site does not update the firmware.
I'm still at 2.5.6. m should I upgrade to 2.6? are there any sound enhancements?

I'm not sure firmware 2.6 introduces any changes to the M2's audio performance per se. If I recall correctly, it apparently fixes gapless playback of .wav files, among other issues. However, you should be aware that I haven't got an M2. (I'd still like to get one. . . .) You'll want to search this thread to find reports from users who've installed 2.6.

Best regards,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back