Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Jun 28, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #976 of 2,161
Hi
you can download the file from here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar9bfMFzEgW9iHScIXip0Rz6hEbi
the .mp3 file ("daikengo") that has no problem to be played on computer or on other portable player (like fiio x5, x3 etc..) but AR-M2 plays it too much fast and I can't understand why...

the second file, the flac one, "creep" by Radiohead, unbelievably, can't be seen in any way by the AR-M2 player, so no chance to play it since I can't find it inside its player...of course the file is easily findable and playable in other portable player...

and about its temperature after half an hour of music playing?

Thanks
ciao
Lorenzo

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #977 of 2,161
Hi
you can download the file from here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar9bfMFzEgW9iHScIXip0Rz6hEbi
the .mp3 file ("daikengo") that has no problem to be played on computer or on other portable player (like fiio x5, x3 etc..) but AR-M2 plays it too much fast and I can't understand why...

the second file, the flac one, "creep" by Radiohead, unbelievably, can't be seen in any way by the AR-M2 player, so no chance to play it since I can't find it inside its player...of course the file is easily findable and playable in other portable player...
Hello, Lorenzo -

Unfortunately, I haven't got an M2 on hand. I did play both songs on Linux and Windows 7, using VLC and foobar2000, respectively. The files seemed to playback without trouble. I believe the MP3 played at the proper speed; however, the song sounded like it was sourced from a worn cassette tape, as I'm sure you're aware. Perhaps the problem relates to the fact that it's encoded at 64 kbps? Indeed, I suspect it may be an issue of compatibility.

Regarding the FLAC file, what software did you use to encode it?

Best regards,
Brian

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #978 of 2,161
and about its temperature after half an hour of music playing?

Have you seen the M2 FAQ on Acoustic Research's U.K. site?

Q. My M2 gets hot after extended use--is this safe?

A. The AR-M2 delivers its superb sound quality by adopting audio components having higher power consumption and lower power efficiency, and these generated heat. In typical use, AR-M2 may reach 35°C / 95°F in a pocket, but the hottest spot remains less than 40°C / 104°F – significantly lower than smart phones after active gaming or internet surfing. The AR-M2 is perfectly safe.

Kind regards,
Brian

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #982 of 2,161
AR-M2 is a lot more expensive here in the USA.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #983 of 2,161
@ bcarr112281
Hi Brian,
thank you for your support. Sorry for my late reply but I was away.
Of course I know the very low quality of the mp3 I uploaded but it is a very old them song of old cartoon when I was very young and I love it.

For the readiohead flac I made through EAC.
I did an attempt: I downloaded Neutron player and installed in ARM2 and the above song is not seen by ARM2 standard player is perfectly seen and played by Neutron.

Yesterday I loaded some new SACD songs I downloaded: they are in ISO format and the ARM2 is not able to read them through standard player. Neutron player neither. But USB Audio Player ( it's the best player I know) is able to recognize and play them.
But I can't use it in ARM2, even if I bought it, while I'm able to use it only the phone where there is google play store where the player does a license check that is not able to do in ARM2....infact I downloaded a part that player to install in ARM2 - that does not permit the Google store use - it starts, it recognize everthing but when I try to start the song it gets, of course, the license error....so at the end in my opinion it's clear is a standard player limit ...very disappointed it does not work since AR don't permit to use any other player since google play is not allowed...and usb audio player is a very very great player. So It would very important they support their ARM2 player with some new updates that improve their standard player....

:frowning2:(

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #984 of 2,161
@ bcarr112281
I did an attempt: I downloaded Neutron player and installed in ARM2 and the above song is not seen by ARM2 standard player is perfectly seen and played by Neutron.

Yesterday I loaded some new SACD songs I downloaded: they are in ISO format and the ARM2 is not able to read them through standard player. Neutron player neither. But USB Audio Player ( it's the best player I know) is able to recognize and play them.
But I can't use it in ARM2, even if I bought it, while I'm able to use it only the phone where there is google play store where the player does a license check that is not able to do in ARM2....infact I downloaded a part that player to install in ARM2 - that does not permit the Google store use - it starts, it recognize everthing but when I try to start the song it gets, of course, the license error....so at the end in my opinion it's clear is a standard player limit ...very disappointed it does not work since AR don't permit to use any other player since google play is not allowed...and usb audio player is a very very great player. So It would very important they support their ARM2 player with some new updates that improve their standard player....
@gannjunior -

Hello!

Apparently, Acoustic Research will soon release a major firmware update; I hope it will address many of the M2's shortcomings.

Best regards,
Brian

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #985 of 2,161
I really hope Brian.

just taken my fiio X3 2nd from my drawer: loaded the last SACD .iso as it is and it is perfectly reproducing without problem, recognizing perfectly the structure and every single songs... :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #986 of 2,161
M2 uses the Burr-Brown PCM1794A DAC, that is why it sounds so much better than the other DAP's. However, the DAC does not have hardware decoding for DSD like the other brands such as ESS. Therefore M2 relies on software to play DSD files. For SACD ISO files, one has to break it down into DSF or DFF format first. There are plenty of free apps on the internet that can do this for Windows or Mac OS.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #987 of 2,161
I recently bought the CA Andromeda and I was amazed at how much my M2 beats the old Lotoo PAW Gold, hands down. There is no comparison in details, dynamics and musicality of the sound. M2 really needs to be listened with TOTL iems in order to shine. However, I am starting to be impatient with the long due firmware update. I believe the most needed update is the nested display of albums, then songs, when searching under artists.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #988 of 2,161
I recently bought the CA Andromeda and I was amazed at how much my M2 beats the old Lotoo PAW Gold, hands down. . . . M2 really needs to be listened with TOTL iems in order to shine. However, I am starting to be impatient with the long due firmware update. . . .
You were fortunate to be able to use IEMs, as the M2 isn't designed to drive them.

Last week I contacted AR Hong Kong to inquire about the new firmware. They replied,
There is an internal beta firmware at the stage. Local distributors should be testing the new player app now. Once thorough testing is completed, it will be released to public."

Incidentally, I should note that AR apparently no longer offers the download of firmware 2.5.6 from its American site.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #989 of 2,161
You were fortunate to be able to use IEMs, as the M2 isn't designed to drive them.
I ordered mine from Taobao and since had been listening mainly with iems for more than a year. I have no current noise issue even with Andromeda. That said, one can always add an iFi imatch to increase impedance without affecting SQ, if hissing happens to be a problem.

Last week I contacted AR Hong Kong to inquire about the new firmware. They replied,

Incidentally, I should note that AR apparently no longer offers the download of firmware 2.5.6 from its American site.
I am running on firmware 2.6.0 downloaded from a link mentioned in this thread a few pages back. That link is ineffective now. However, I did not observe any difference between 2.5.6 and 2.6.0.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #990 of 2,161
I am running on firmware 2.6.0 downloaded from a link mentioned in this thread a few pages back. That link is ineffective now. However, I did not observe any difference between 2.5.6 and 2.6.0.
besati, thanks for your post. If my understanding is correct, firmware 2.6 is an unreleased beta, one that AR has abandoned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back