Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Mar 3, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #452 of 2,161
  Any news on when we might get a new and improved user interface for the M2?

Also, any hope of future software updates providing longer battery life?

Thanks

Thanks for the questions I will be talking to the team to update the website and adding in a suggestions part to it any question, comments or suggestions can be posted there. 

I am hoping we will see some more changes, what exactly would people like to see so I have some feedback to take back to the team. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #453 of 2,161
Any hiss with highly sensitive IEMs? I just got the Westone ES60. With FiiO x7, i get the faintest his which bothers me.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #454 of 2,161
Any hiss with highly sensitive IEMs? I just got the Westone ES60. With FiiO x7, i get the faintest his which bothers me.

With extremely high sensitivity IEMs you may hear some hiss as well as some "digital" noise from the CPU and/or WiFi. You will also have a very limited range of usable volume control settings. However, this really depends on the characteristics of your IEMs.

I use the Sony Z5 IEMs with the M2 and they are perfect. I hear no noise of any kind and get a decent range of adjustment with the volume control. In addition, the amplifier in the M2 is great. It produces really well controlled and powerful bass. The amp was one of the selling points for me with the M2 as I was tired of carrying around an outboard amp with my Fiio X5.

I did try the M2 with an old pair of Ortofon e-Q7 IEMs from my collection. These are the most sensitive IEMs I ever owned. I did hear a small amount of hiss and digital noise during silent passages, but could not hear any noise when there was any actual sound playing.

To be sure, you should probably find a place to audition the M2 with your ES60 IEMs.

Good luck.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #456 of 2,161
With extremely high sensitivity IEMs you may hear some hiss as well as some "digital" noise from the CPU and/or WiFi. You will also have a very limited range of usable volume control settings. However, this really depends on the characteristics of your IEMs.

I use the Sony Z5 IEMs with the M2 and they are perfect. I hear no noise of any kind and get a decent range of adjustment with the volume control. In addition, the amplifier in the M2 is great. It produces really well controlled and powerful bass. The amp was one of the selling points for me with the M2 as I was tired of carrying around an outboard amp with my Fiio X5.

I did try the M2 with an old pair of Ortofon e-Q7 IEMs from my collection. These are the most sensitive IEMs I ever owned. I did hear a small amount of hiss and digital noise during silent passages, but could not hear any noise when there was any actual sound playing.

To be sure, you should probably find a place to audition the M2 with your ES60 IEMs.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I have the Z5 also. It's pitch black with the x7. I think it's a shame that $700-$1200 DAPs cannot remove that last 1-5% hissing in the most sensitive IEMs. I think the AK100II and AK120II are very silent.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #457 of 2,161
Thanks for the input. I have the Z5 also. It's pitch black with the x7. I think it's a shame that $700-$1200 DAPs cannot remove that last 1-5% hissing in the most sensitive IEMs. I think the AK100II and AK120II are very silent.

Hi gordec, i found the hissing noise for iem is unacceptable at this price range too. But then i directly contacted Acoustic Rerearch technical support back in UK and they responded with very long technical explanation but i just want to summarize that they told me they did it because of their own purpose, they said that removing hissing noise is an easy job to do, you just simply put more filters onto the amp output to eliminate it but they chose not to do it because they want to keep the realistic and organic sound, and stimulate exactly what the song was recorded. That is why when you pair it with sensitive iems, the hissing sound is noticeable and you can just plug it with the impedance adapter and problem is solved. It's sound is more like a WOW than those AK100II or AK120II as i owned AK120II for quite sometime and i decided to trade it for AR-M2.  

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #459 of 2,161

Hi gordec, i found the hissing noise for iem is unacceptable at this price range too. But then i directly contacted Acoustic Rerearch technical support back in UK and they responded with very long technical explanation but i just want to summarize that they told me they did it because of their own purpose, they said that removing hissing noise is an easy job to do, you just simply put more filters onto the amp output to eliminate it but they chose not to do it because they want to keep the realistic and organic sound, and stimulate exactly what the song was recorded. That is why when you pair it with sensitive iems, the hissing sound is noticeable and you can just plug it with the impedance adapter and problem is solved. It's sound is more like a WOW than those AK100II or AK120II as i owned AK120II for quite sometime and i decided to trade it for AR-M2.  

I wish I can drive to Sacramento and test it out. :cool:

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #460 of 2,161
I wish I can drive to Sacramento and test it out.
cool.gif

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It is so near man, i have a spring break this week and next week. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #462 of 2,161
They are currently beta testing a newer version of the M2 firmware v2.5.2
https://www.facebook.com/acousticresearchdigital/posts/1206527589365244

Another review here: http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/acoustic-research-m2-1315598/review?src=rss&attr=all

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #464 of 2,161
From that review.
It's a shame that the M2 uses a "generic signal path" for streaming. Probably unavoidable. Streaming is the future IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back