Acoustic Research component video cables
Dec 23, 2003 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know what guage wire is used for the center conductor of AR's component video cables? The packaging shows a solid center conductor but does not specify the guage of this wire.

Dec 25, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 15
Sorry - but I don't have any idea! (Why do you need to know?) I tried a Google search for you, came up with lots of places that sold them, but nothing about the specs. Anyway, here's a bump for your thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 15
Does it really matter much? Unless you have a good source and screen for video, the differences aren't monumental.

Dec 25, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 15
Unless one is talking about speaker wire, gauge on video cables is irrelevant. Yes Canare and Belden have specs on all their wire but in the area of video it has no relevance. That is why the gauge is never mentioned.

The importance with a video cable is to have a 75 ohm impedance and using good connectors (say the Canare ones which are very highly rated).

Peter

Dec 26, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 15
My reason for asking is this: I wanted to find out what was more commonly used for component video purposes. I was talking to the people at blue jeans cable. They told me that at typical home audio lenghts there would be no preformace differance between the 1505a (an RG59 type cable) and the 1694a (an RG6 type).My though was to go with the 1505a because of flexablity issues. I also thought that if both cables preform the same then why not take the one that is of the usual type being used for component video.

Dec 26, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 15
Of the two cables if I were going to use it for simple baseband purposes (6 Mhz for say a 480i signal) then I would go for the more flexible 1505A with the double braid. The foil in the 1694A is of no value at these frequencies. Other alternatives from Canare can also be looked at.

If you are using it for passing an HDTV signal then I would look at the foil/braid of the 1694A. At these frequencies (say 35 Mhz) the foil will be of use.

Peter

Dec 26, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Peterg2
Of the two cables if I were going to use it for simple baseband purposes (6 Mhz for say a 480i signal) then I would go for the more flexible 1505A with the double braid. The foil in the 1694A is of no value at these frequencies. Other alternatives from Canare can also be looked at.

If you are using it for passing an HDTV signal then I would look at the foil/braid of the 1694A. At these frequencies (say 35 Mhz) the foil will be of use.

Peter

Both cables have a sheild of foil and braiding. The 1505f has a double braided shield. The sheild on the 1505a is the same as the 1694a.

Dec 26, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
Both cables have a sheild of foil and braiding. The 1505f has a double braided shield. The sheild on the 1505a is the same as the 1694a.

My mistake as I was obviously thinking of the 1505F. In any event, for baseband the foil is not doing anything as regards shielding.

Personally I would also consider for baseband the Canare LV-61S (single braided but still an excellent cable which I have used) or the LV-77S, not quite as flexible but double braided which might be useful for a longer run.

Peter

Dec 26, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 15
Just a brief follow-up and that is to mention that you have not said what lengths you are looking at. I use 89259 Belden for Audio interconnects and with the teflon jacket etc it is not the most flexible cable (but I have longish lengths). That being said the Minimum turn radius of it is 2.5" whereas I see for the 1694A it is 2.75". I would not want to use something like this for a very short run. I see the minimum turn radius for the 1505A is 2.5".

The Canare LV-61S is very flexible and is an outstanding baseband video cable. If you feel more comfortable with having double braiding then go with the LV-77S but in a short run I doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

Peter

Dec 26, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 15
Which model are talking about?

I tried the cheaper AR Component cables I bought from Best Buy, and they suck.

A $20 triple shielded RGB (VGA HD15) cable was waaaaay better. I was hooking up a Zenith HDV420 to my Samsung HLN-467. Of course these are different types of connections, though. If you have an HDTV STB with a VGA output and an HDTV Monitor with an VGA input, go for the VGA cable. It's a lot cheaper and looks alot better.

Unless you have DVI, now that's another story.
wink.gif

-Ed

Dec 26, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Peterg2
Just a brief follow-up and that is to mention that you have not said what lengths you are looking at. I use 89259 Belden for Audio interconnects and with the teflon jacket etc it is not the most flexible cable (but I have longish lengths). That being said the Minimum turn radius of it is 2.5" whereas I see for the 1694A it is 2.75". I would not want to use something like this for a very short run. I see the minimum turn radius for the 1505A is 2.5".

The Canare LV-61S is very flexible and is an outstanding baseband video cable. If you feel more comfortable with having double braiding then go with the LV-77S but in a short run I doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

Peter

The lenghts of cable that I would be using are 3 to 6 feet. I feel it is better to use the shortest runs possible. 6 ft seems to be the maximum most people will ever need. Also what is base line video and what is the frequency range?

Dec 26, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm using 12 foot Beldon 7710A and it seems to be doing a splendid job.

Anybody try the Beldon 1808A for S-Video? I am currenly using the AR blue's (Best Buy, grab n' buy) and think I could do better.

Dec 26, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
The lenghts of cable that I would be using are 3 to 6 feet. I feel it is better to use the shortest runs possible. 6 ft seems to be the maximum most people will ever need. Also what is base line video and what is the frequency range?

Baseband video is an unmodulated signal which has no audio information and operates at much lower frequencies. Cable TV uses a modulated RF (Radio Frequency) signal where the frequency range is roughly 50 Mhz up to say 830 Mhz. This is termed broadband. In this latter case braiding is of no value for shielding purposes due to the much higher frequencies being carried and a foil shield is required. At the lower frequencies braiding is of much more importance, especially say with signals from a DVD player to a display device which with 480i (interlaced) is roughly 6.5 Mhz and with 480p (progressive scan)13 Mhz. Somewhere above these frequencies a foil shield starts becoming useful and that is why a component cable used to pass High Definition signals (up to 35 Mhz) will have foil as well.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back