acoustic or classical guitar
Dec 3, 2007 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

feh1325

Headphoneus Supremus
parents asked me what i wanted for christmas/birthday
i've been playing with my dad's old classical guitar for the past 6 months or so

most of my playing is strumming over my singing

so i ask the guitar players of headfi:

what are main differences between the acoustic and classical guitars
and which one is more suited to what i play

feel free to ask questions!

thanks

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 12
Classical guitar offers a warmer, and mainly more dynamic tonality (if you can finger-pick properly). Steel-string acoustics usually offer sharper tone with more percussive sound if you are picking. For strumming steel-strings will generally be more effective (assuming you do not want to try flamenco).

If you are just looking to play some popular tunes and sing over them, go for a steel string.

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 12
To add to what MaloS advised above, another difference is that steel string guitars also have narrower necks, so the strings are closer together to make holding barre chords a bit easier.

If you play with a plectrum, I would say go for a steel string acoustic.
If you enjoy fingerstyle more and also prefer the softer tone of the classical guitar you are currently playing, go with that.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 12
steel string is more versitile. Its easier to bend with and the fretboard isnt so wide. The body usually only starts at 14th fret(i think) on a regular acoustic. The body is at the 12th fret on a classical. If you are ever going to solo i would also reccomend getting one with a cutaway. There is nothing professional about having your hand in an awquard position because the body is in the way.

You can see i am a classical guitar hater.. but thats just cause my style of playing really isnt suited to it. Classical guitars have a richer tone but in terms of playability, steel stringed guitars are much more practical.

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 12
I have both. The classical is more expressive and warm sounding behind my vocals. The steel string is better for playing louder in front of groups. I find that the wider neck of a classical isn't a problem with chording at all. It's just what you're used to.

I've got a mint condition Alhambra 9 Indian rosewood/spruce for sale if anyone is interested.

See ya
Steve

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 12
thanks for all your input

i don't have very big hands, but i don't have trouble playing guitar

haven't been using a pick, i've been strumming with my thumb to get a warm, soft tone

i guess i'm gonna go with a classical

thanks, to everyone

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Once you learn proper left hand techniques, you'll find out why the classical necks are wider: they do make barres much easier then steel string. Of course having a wider spacing also helps with right hand techniques as well: arpeggios are much that much easier with a classical.

There are differences in melody between the two types (heck, there's difference in melody with each guitar body period). The best way to figure which one sounds the best to you is to listen and decide which guitarists you like. Also going to a guitar shop and trying out guitars is not a bad idea either: nothing wrong with trying out guitars for free!
biggrin.gif

If you decide on classical, I would recommend getting some lessons in. If you try to learn chords and finger picking on your own, you'll no doubt learn the regular accoustic/rock techniques. I found it doubly hard to learn classical because I had to unlearn the bad habits I learned from rock. Going with extreme classical first will make you a pro in no time
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going with extreme classical first will make you a pro in no time
biggrin.gif

Yep, absolutely agree. You can learn to play any genre using a strong foundation in classical technique, and since it's the trickiest anything else will be easy after!

Get a good teacher though.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 12
I play both and have both and would recommend steel string for your playing. Classical is more for finger picking although I know some that use a pick and solo on it... myself included.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 12
and whoever goes to select your new Guitar - make sure they go with a knowledgeable person. Someone who knows how to select an axe (instrument, for us older folk) with a straight neck (there can be warps or twists in many of the guitars you examine) and are fairly astute as to the tonality of the individual instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back