Acoustic, live, and freaking awesome: Recommendations?
Feb 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 31
Michael Hedges "Live On the Double Planet": Some of the best acoustic guitar music ever put on tape (1/2" ANALOG with NO signal processing to be specific
biggrin.gif
), and features excellent SQ to boot! His overall style is fairly to highly energetic (I resist the term "heavy" because he should in no way be confused with anything "Metal", but I do remember one magazine interviewer using the term "Acoustic Folk Thrash") and his live sound was amplified to the same degree as a Rock band's, so his guitar sounds very dynamic and "alive" even on slower, more introspective songs-not a sound that will lull you to sleep at all, and in fact sounds great played LOUD.

Michael is quite simply one of the finest guitarists the world has ever known, regardless of genre (and a MONUMENTAL loss when the was killed by a drunk driver). He is usually classified under "New Age" in record shops, but strongly resisted this categorization-I find his music genuinely difficult to categorize as he draws upon such eclectic influences. His sound is energetic, accessible, and always uplifting (VERY positive impact on the listener's mood). All of his albums are worth owning, but this happens to be one of the best and an excellent place to start if you've never heard him before-acoustic, live, and defintiely "freaking awesome"!!

Yeah, I'm a fanboy-was lucky enough to see him live many times, and meet him twice; he was a consummate gentleman-gracious, friendly, and genuinely appreciative of the opportunity to meet fans. This, plus the quality of his music, is the source of my enthusiasm.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 31
Godsmack - The Other Side.

A truly amazing acoustic recording.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(and a MONUMENTAL loss when the was killed by a drunk driver).

I love Michael Hedges' music. His song "Bensusan" is probably my favorite acoustic guitar instrumental. I've never heard that he was killed by a drunk driver - all reports I've heard are that he lost control of his car on a wet road, potentially due to worn-out tires. Either way, a terrible loss.

Bryan

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #23 of 31
I thought Michael Hedges died of cancer and knew that he was dying when he wrote "Watching My Life Go By".
confused.gif

So many guitarists died in accidents...Cat Stevens, Stevie Ray Vauhan, Buddy Holiday

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all reports I've heard are that he lost control of his car on a wet road, potentially due to worn-out tires

That is all true, but a drunk driver actually initiated the events that led to him losing control.

Quote:

I thought Michael Hedges died of cancer and knew that he was dying when he wrote "Watching My Life Go By"

I have never heard this before-AFIK he was in perfect health (was a strong advocate of "healthy living", including sobriety). That album was actually recorded at the mid-point of his career, and introduced additional elements into his music that would further develop on future albums (such as vocals and accompanying instruments), and the subtle use of electric guitar on that album was a departure for him. A great album for sure, but probably not the best example of the Michael Hedges "sound"-if it's the only one you have heard, you are definitely missing out on some of his defining moments (If this is the only one you have heard, hear "Live on the Double Planet" or "Aerial Boundaries" next...)

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 31
Actually, I've heard most of his albums, "Strings of Steel" being my favorite.

I am now headed to Virgin Records to punch out the guy that told me the cancer story. That was 5 years ago. He surely must have made Asst. Mngr. by now with his fables.
redface.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #27 of 31
The John Mayer Trio live album - "Try" is not exactly sonic bliss but a performance that will go down in history.
Not a lot of people know how talented a guitarist he is, because of his pop hits.
On this album and his performance on the Eric Clapton's "Crossroads" DVD for his Antigua drug program, he blows me away.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #28 of 31
VERY well said, and I greatly envy the opportunities that you had to see him live, and also meet him. Michael was simply a brilliant acoustic guitarist who defied and transcended limits the way Hendrix did with electrics. I have been a great admirer since his first cd was released on Windham Hill. For a measure of what he was, what he achieved, and those who honor him, listen to the song that David Crosby and Graham Nash wrote about his passing.

JC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Michael Hedges "Live On the Double Planet": Some of the best acoustic guitar music ever put on tape (1/2" ANALOG with NO signal processing to be specific
biggrin.gif
), and features excellent SQ to boot! His overall style is fairly to highly energetic (I resist the term "heavy" because he should in no way be confused with anything "Metal", but I do remember one magazine interviewer using the term "Acoustic Folk Thrash") and his live sound was amplified to the same degree as a Rock band's, so his guitar sounds very dynamic and "alive" even on slower, more introspective songs-not a sound that will lull you to sleep at all, and in fact sounds great played LOUD.

Michael is quite simply one of the finest guitarists the world has ever known, regardless of genre (and a MONUMENTAL loss when the was killed by a drunk driver). He is usually classified under "New Age" in record shops, but strongly resisted this categorization-I find his music genuinely difficult to categorize as he draws upon such eclectic influences. His sound is energetic, accessible, and always uplifting (VERY positive impact on the listener's mood). All of his albums are worth owning, but this happens to be one of the best and an excellent place to start if you've never heard him before-acoustic, live, and defintiely "freaking awesome"!!

Yeah, I'm a fanboy-was lucky enough to see him live many times, and meet him twice; he was a consummate gentleman-gracious, friendly, and genuinely appreciative of the opportunity to meet fans. This, plus the quality of his music, is the source of my enthusiasm.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #29 of 31
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young 4 way street or any of their solo or older group (Manassas, Buffalo Springfield, Hollies) works. If you like Bruce Springsteen, check out Nebraska. I have a soft spot for Jim Croce, David Bromberg, Arlo Guthrie, Leo Kottke, Nick Drake, Cat Stevens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back