Acoustic Guitar
Feb 13, 2002 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
Music recommendations featuring an acoustic guitar solo or duet with another guitar (classical or acoustic) or with other warm/mellow sounding instruments would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for instrumentals, but vocals mixed in is ok too (provided they have a good voice, can follow a melody, not harsh, etc.).

Feb 13, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 36
I guess you could do a lot worse than to check out:

Antonio Forcionne & Sabina Sciubba - Meet Me In London (Naim Label)

Antonio Forcione - Dedicato

Willie Nelson - Spirit

Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas

Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin - The Guitar Trio (Verve Records)

Those should give you a good start

Sound as ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 36
dashboard confessional's debut album "the swiss army romance" is about as good an acoustic album i have ever heard. course, i highly doubt this is what you are looking for. you kinda have to be a young broken-hearted punk who's into emo to fully enjoy it. i just wanted to make my first sentence heard somewhere.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 36
I've heard parts of the three below, and have been trying to find them locally:

Albéniz, Isaac (Manuel Francisco): ASTURIAS (Conductor: SILLITO, Primary Soloist: LAGOYA,G, Orchestra: ASMF) PHIL 446 002i

Vivaldi: GUITAR CONCERTO IN D, RV93 (Conductor: FOSTER; Primary Soloist: ISBIN,G; Orchestra: LAUSANNE CHAMBER ORCH) CD Info: VIRGIN 91192i

Albeniz played by Segovia

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 36
My personal favourite is Steve Hackett. He's done several: Bay of Kings, Momentum, and the occasional track here and there, but the best (my personal favourite, anyway), is A Midsummer Night's Dream. I think Sketches of Satie is all solo acoustic guitar, too.

Classical guitarists: I believe the two biggest guys in the field are Julian Bream and Andres Segovia, the latter of which is considered to be the "Heifitz" (?sp) of guitar. One of the most important pieces in the genre is Rodrigo, "Concierto de Aranjuez". No, I cannot recommend one particular version (not familiar enough), but if I had to buy "blind", I would go for either of the above two.

John Williams also appears a lot (search on allclassical.com). No, it's not that John Williams...

EDIT: Ignore the "Concierto de Aranjez" rec, it's got a whole orchestra behind the classical guitar. But the artist recommendations stand -- Segovia, et al.

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 36
As far as bebop, solo acoustic guitar, this is the pinnacle:

Joe Pass - Virtuoso(K2 or XRCD)

As far as Bossa Nova, this one is a favorite:

Luiz Bonfa - Non-Stop to Brasil(Chesky)

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 36
dusty's already mentioned him: i recommend john williams playing bach. he plays with great precision and beauty.

Feb 14, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 36
------------------------->GUITARISMA 2<--------------------------------

Mix of electric and acoustic tracks....great stuff! Nothing mind bending, but relaxing nonetheless.

Feb 14, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 36
Jim O'Rourke's "Bad Timing" would be PERFECT for you. I swear to God, this is a recommendation you should not ignore. It is only called Bad Timing because he does not end any of the pieces on the tonic, but trust me, this is a beautiful album. I would recommend it to anyone. Also, do yourself a favor and find some recordings of Andreas Segovia. I like the Segovia collection -- of him playing Bach, and of him playing Baroque. Both are otherworldly. You owe yourself a listen to all these. You will not regret it. If you do, you can fire some Tomahawks at my apartment....though you would have to get clearance from my best friend, who outranks you...
Stu

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 36
Chet Atkins and Mark Knoffler - Neck 'n Neck (some Vocals)
Chet Atkins and Les Paul - Chester and Lester (some Vocals)
Chet Atkins and almost any other guitarist
Chet Atkins and Suzy Bogus - Sympatico (Vocals)
biggrin.gif

(Note: for those not familiar with Chet, these are NOT twangy country. These border R&B and Pop)

(the following are all instramentals)
Phil Keaggy - The Wind and the Wheat
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Phil Keaggy - Accustic Sketches
Phil Keaggy - Music to Paint By Vols. 1-4
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

www.philkeaggy.com

Sergovia Collection on MCA - 6CD collection of Sergovia performances

K. Yama****a - Vivaldi
Eliot Fisk
Juilain Bream - Bach on RCA
(I'll update the details on the above and add some more when I get home. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back