Acoustic Folk/Bluegrass recommendations
Feb 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
Need some new CDs in the vein of Nickel Creek - This side and Wailin' Jennys - Firecracker.

I'm finding my new setup is just mind blowing with acoustic and would like to greatly expand my collection in this direction.

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 22
Alison Krauss & Union Station

Béla Fleck - Tales From The Acoustic Planet (volumes I and II)

Strength In Numbers - The Telluride Sessions

The New Grass Revival - Best Of

Yonder Mountain String Band

The Del McCoury Band

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Uncle Charlie and His Dog Teddy

Jerry Douglas - The Best Kept Secret

**edit**

Forgot to mention that I miss Nickel Creek so badly it hurts sometimes. There is nothing else quite like them. I love Sara's voice, Chris' godlike Mando skills, and Sean's contributions as well.

I'm so ready for them to get back together and record.

J.D. Crowe and the New South

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 22
Excellent, thanks Ingo. My sister, who originally shared Nickel Creek and Wailin' Jennys with me, also mentioned Alison Krauss. The others I've never heard of, but I'll check them out.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 22
**Shameless Plugging of Personal Preference Alert**

If you think that your setup sounds good with acoustica you should throw a set of Gray-dohs in the mix and see what you think. RS-1s are HEAVENLY with Bluegrass/Newgrass music, IMNSHO.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 22
I bought some SR80s for my father this Christmas. I've only listened to them on my Zune flash player (wma lossless) and it sounded pretty good, but the fit of Grados is just horrible for me.

I also think you would be surprised at what this setup sounds like. Zero veil at all with all this power being rammed into these phones and the immense sound stage. I can't try the Grados on this system until I get off my duff and get my DIY tools and make myself a 4pin XLR -> TRS adapter, but it is something I have in the works.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 22
Uncle Earl.
Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder.

Also, though they are old recordings (thus not up to modern standards), no collection should be without some Flatt & Scruggs.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 22
I second most of Ingo's recommendations, though I never could get into Alison Krauss.
My favourite recordings are:
1. Sam Bush - Peaks of Telluride
2. Béla Fleck - Drive
3. Chris Thile - Not all who wander are lost
4. Old Crow Medicine Show - OCMS
5. Béla Fleck and Edgar Meyer - Music for Two (this is classical crossover - very good!)
6. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the circle be unbroken (both volumes I and II)

Also, check out the Live Music Archive (www.archive.org) and grab some recordings from tapers.org - a new cooperative for an old addiction

My biggest recommendation is to check out one of the big acoustic/bluegrass festivals. Merlefest, Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Rockygrass, etc. They will blow your mind more than any recording could dream of.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 22
Anything by Chatham County Line, especially IV.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 22
Another Wailin' Jennys Fan! Yes!

If you liked them, definitely try Allison Krauss as was recommended. She is most excellent in nearly everything she has put out. Her stuff she collaborated on with Union Station is quite good as Ingo already stated.

I also like Sonny Rhodes in this vein of music.....

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 22
Crooked Still - Shaken by a Low Sound
The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
Be Good Tanyas - Blue Horse

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Sam Bush - Peaks of Telluride
2. Béla Fleck - Drive
3. Chris Thile - Not all who wander are lost
4. Old Crow Medicine Show - OCMS
5. Béla Fleck and Edgar Meyer - Music for Two (this is classical crossover - very good!)
6. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the circle be unbroken (both volumes I and II)

Right on dude.

Sam Bush is the father of Newgrass.

Will The Circle Be Unbroken is a must. I found an insane copy on vinyl and I rarely play it because I'm worried that something on my TT might break and ruin it! As illogical as that is, it's my most prized record.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 22
They're not that tough to find in good condition, Ingo, so play away. I have two I picked up for under $5 at a local shop a year or two ago. Records are meant to be played, sir.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not that tough to find in good condition, Ingo, so play away. I have two I picked up for under $5 at a local shop a year or two ago. Records are meant to be played, sir.

I was half kidding. I'm actually listening to it right now.

I have found a few other copies of it around as well. I got mine at a thrift store for $3.

To The OP:
I forgot to mention to get the 'O Brother Where Art Thou? ST as well.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was so excited when I saw one in a record shop, I paid nearly $40 for it. Then three days later I found the same record in a 2nd hand book store for $3. I bought it and gave it to a friend.
frown.gif

It's good enough that I'm not too sorry about the $40 though. It would be worse not to have found it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back