Acoustic-Electric suggestions anyone?
Apr 3, 2007 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I'm trying to decide on an acoustic electric guitar for myself.
I already have a Gibson SG Special (which I absolutely love), and I'd really like to have a full body acoustic-electric as well. I just have no idea what to look for.
tongue.gif

Let's say that the price shouldn't go (too far) over $400.
Any suggestions are welcome! Used guitars are a possibility as well.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 17
How about an Alvarez?
I have an Alvarez Yari model that goes for around $400 used, I bought it for $900.
Beautiful sunburst, maple top and bottom, composite sides. Warren Haynes plays an Alvarez Yari, although his may be a little nicer than mine.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 17
However, rlanger is right.
Scrimp and save, get a Taylor 800 series. 810ce, 812ce or 814ce. The difference between the numbers are the body types, c=cutout, e=electric.
I have been drooling over these since '04.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Where can I find an Alvarez Yairi for that cheap?

Good question, that's what the local music store, The Music Box in Hamilton NJ, sold one exactly like mine about a year ago. The model I bought several years ago listed at $800, I bought it for $900. So it's blue book value is half of the original list price, bringing it down to $400. The problem with things like that though, as soon as these guys find out you're looking for something it coincidently becomes more valuable and the price goes up. Believe it or not, if you're left-handed there are better deals out there for used high-end guitars.
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 17
I've found a couple Alvarez's for new at musicians friend for around $400.
The AD60SC, and the AF60CK. People seem to really like both of these.
I'll probably check out the local stores some time soon as well.

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of an amplifier are you using?

I have a Roland Cube 30 of my own, and my dad has a nice big Fender amp in the basement + one other (tube) amp that I always forget the name of. Both are extremely nice. I would most likely be playing either unplugged, or through the Roland. Is there something wrong with doing that?

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 17
Apr 3, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Roland Cube 30 of my own, and my dad has a nice big Fender amp in the basement + one other (tube) amp that I always forget the name of. Both are extremely nice. I would most likely be playing either unplugged, or through the Roland. Is there something wrong with doing that?

none but keep in mind it will sound different than playing it through a dedicated acoustic guitar amp, as electric guitar amps are geared for a certain tone and frequency response rather than a neutral one.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you, my friend, need a Taylor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAYLOR-314CE-6-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Look on gbase.com for dealers, a little less scary than buying from ebay. best bet is craigslist so you can walk over and play before pay.

I'd love one, but they're all quite pricey. Maybe this weekend I'll go out and look around at some local stores to see what some of my options are.

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back