Acoustic Alchemy
Jan 14, 2003 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Necroist

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody heard of this group, they play some great acoustic-jazz music with just guitars. Go give them a listen, they are good stuff.

For those who have already heard their music before, can anyone recommend me other groups\people with similar kind of music?

Feb 19, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 10
Sorry, I just spotted this. Alchemy is probably my favorite group. Absolutely get Positive Thinking if you don't have it. All of their albums are great.

Check out Special EFX. You will probably also enjoy the Rippingtons.

gerG

Feb 19, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 10
Ive got "Positive Thinking" and "The New Edge" by AA. The New Edge is probably my favorite of the two. I haven't heard their earlier stuff.

I guess for alternative recommendations I would recommend Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLucia's "Friday Night in San Francisco." This is such an obviously essential jazz guitar album that you probably already have it. If not, then go get it now! (It's also available on SACD)

Another common choice would be "Buena Vista Social Club". It is very different from Acoustic Alchemy, but if you like Cuban Jazz / Flamenco, you would like it. The recording quality is excellent.

Feb 19, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, The Rippingtons are really good too. Ive got a bunch of their discs. Pass on "Moonlighting" (Kenny G on that one...say no more). Probably my favorite Rippingtons is "Curves Ahead".

If you like the Rippingtons then the Yellow Jackets may suit your tastes also.

Feb 19, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 10
I've got Back on the Case by them and love it. You might want to add this one to your collection. Weird though, mine says Promotional Use Only. Not for resale. I hope this is available normally as it is quite good.

If you like jazz like this you might check out Lee Ritenour "Earth Run", and any albums you can find by Blue Knights. I also love "Hats" by The BLue Nile. Downtown Lights is an awesome song.

Feb 20, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 10
ok, now this thread is starting to simmer.

Another AA must have is Reference Point.

For Special EFX start with Masterpiece and work backward.

Yellowjackets runs hot and cold. I really like their "Shades" album.

Ditto on kennyg. blech!

Also must get GRP live in session. Broad spectrum of GRP artists. Killer track by Dianne Schuur.

My favorite Ritenour CD is Wes Bound.

Lots more in this genre, if you get hooked.

gerG

Feb 20, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 10
O.K. I thought of a few more.

Leo Kottke - I've been meaning to get some of his discs but don't know where to start. I remember hearing some of his stuff on Public Radio and liking it a lot. Any recommendations?

I bought a disc from Friedemann a long time ago (1987ish) called "Indian Summer". It sounds a lot like Acoustic Alchemy. It's on the Narada label so its got that Narada sound. DOn't ask me to describe what that is, but if you own any Narada discs you'll know what I mean. The sound is good but there is a certain flavor of studio efx that sort of artificially enhances the spaciousness.

Ottmar Liebert - I burnt a copy of "Nouveux Flamenco" from a friend a few years ago. Some of the songs are pretty good although his playing gets a little predictable after a while.

Speaking of Flamenco, I like this style of music especially some of the more recent music that infuses this style with modern Jazz/ New Age. My favorite Acoustic Alchemy song is "Santa Cafe" off of The New Edge which does this. Anyone else know of any other music like this? It certainly isn't a pure form of Flamenco but I really like it anyway.

I agree with the Yellow Jackets comment. I have "Greenhouse" and "live wires". Greenhouse doesnt do much for me but there are a couple of tunes on Live wires that are pretty cool.

Feb 21, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 10
Check out a guy named Armik. Since he only has one name they usually file him under "new age", but it is more flamenco fusion. Gypsy Flame is a good CD to start with. Sort of like Otmar if he actually knew how to play a guitar (sorry, it just slipped out).

I like Leo, but have to admit that I don't own any of his CDs. Thought I had a record of his, so let me rummage through the vinyl.

Thanks for the suggestions. Time to hit the record store!

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back