Achieving Accurate Balance in Headphones (Speakers in General)
Jul 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

amarinojazz

New Head-Fier
I've recently checked out a site that shows the frequency distribution throughout the sound spectrum (audible range, respectively). I noticed that the headphones that I did look at on the graph, which included Grados, Sennheisers, Audio-Technica, etc., were altered in terms of dB adjustment. Would it be practical to have a headphone that is completely unaltered, or flat, in order to replicate true natural sound, rather than the "enhancements" from the headphone/speaker? Every headphone I looked at had some type of EQ adjustment, so I was wondering if there is a headphone that is capable of being completely flat, or if that would destroy the sound quality, which would be the reason why companies do adjust EQ on their headphones and other speakers. I am starting to work my way into sound, and am trying to learn about audiophile perspective on sound in order to further my own knowledge on the matter. So, if I am making  no sense, I apologize in advance, though a response would still be appreciated. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I've recently checked out a site that shows the frequency distribution throughout the sound spectrum (audible range, respectively). I noticed that the headphones that I did look at on the graph, which included Grados, Sennheisers, Audio-Technica, etc., were altered in terms of dB adjustment. Would it be practical to have a headphone that is completely unaltered, or flat, in order to replicate true natural sound, rather than the "enhancements" from the headphone/speaker? Every headphone I looked at had some type of EQ adjustment, so I was wondering if there is a headphone that is capable of being completely flat, or if that would destroy the sound quality, which would be the reason why companies do adjust EQ on their headphones and other speakers. I am starting to work my way into sound, and am trying to learn about audiophile perspective on sound in order to further my own knowledge on the matter. So, if I am making  no sense, I apologize in advance, though a response would still be appreciated. 

Hi! Welcome to Head-Fi.

You might be interested in reading about the head-related-transfer-function
There's some solid info about why headphone frequency response curves look the way they do here.

Perhaps that will answer you question a bit?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back