Acer Aspire One mini-notebook: Fan always on?
Aug 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got the Acer Aspire One netbook from Circuit City. I noticed that the cooling fan is always on (it turns on as soon as I turn on the computer), and it is quite noisy when I'm in a quite room, with a high pitch whine. Is this normal? Can anyone who has the Aspire One confirm this?

I' have two Acer full sized laptops and their cooling fans only turn on when necessary, so I'm worried that my Aspire One is defective.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 4
My fiances dad got one on launch, it is very quiet. Dont think I've noticed the fan in the few times I've played with it.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Defective fan (whining) / temp probe (needless running)?

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 4
I did some more research and it looks like many others are having the same problem. There's a thread about it at Acer Aspire One User forum: Acer Aspire One User Forum • View topic - Fan Problems

It seems like a widespread problem. The fan is supposed to be always on, but some people's fans are almost silent and others have noisy ones like mine.

I took it back Circuit City today and exchanged it. The new had the same problem, but the noise is lower, less annoying.

Despite the fan noise, this is still an excellent mini-notebook (or "netbook") and I'm going to keep it. Hopefully a future firmware/software upgrade will be able to solve this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back