Accurate sound = musical sound?
May 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 21
Even the best (measuring) speakers will probably only sound average if you put them in an untreated room. Another problem is room correction used incorrectly, i.e. to flatten the FR as much as possible. A little bass boost and rolled off treble imho sounds a lot better to enjoy music.

most modern speakers are designed like that already for consumer and professional uses. most speakers fellow the what's known as ''modern highs'' and modern roll off. it's to compensate for modern recordings with say not well use of compression and the use of boosted highs and lows to make up for the roll-off of their system(and most of consumer gear). play that same material in a controlled environment and it will come out boomy and bright. just saying most speakers,even monitors already take care of that naturally since they're designed like that.

May 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 21
it's still mastered on flat system. for control rooms like that they will flatten the response using eq to compensate for the room modes. it still shows that mastering on a flat system will translate best over to wide-range of audio gear, even ibuds.

That was my point actually, mastering in a good room is the way to go.

Also, the very flat FR curves of this room were obtained purely through room acoustical treatment, there was zero EQ involved.

May 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 21
That was my point actually, mastering in a good room is the way to go.
Also, the very flat FR curves of this room were obtained purely through room acoustical treatment, there was zero EQ involved.

my fault. sorry. i misunderstood you at first.

May 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 21
Hmm I thought most buyers even back then would be more concerned about room treatment when buying a good pair of speakers, it should at least be on the dealers part to advise them on room acoustics. On another note, I noticed that with many studios with good room acoustics, "speaker in wall" horn loaded speakers are preferred to more conventional closed box enclosures, why is that so?

May 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 21
Hmm I thought most buyers even back then would be more concerned about room treatment when buying a good pair of speakers, it should at least be on the dealers part to advise them on room acoustics. On another note, I noticed that with many studios with good room acoustics, "speaker in wall" horn loaded speakers are preferred to more conventional closed box enclosures, why is that so?

Diffraction at the edges of the speaker box, as well as avoiding the whole issue of the reflection from the wall at the back of the speakers.

More info here: http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/presentations-tutorials/flush-mounting/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back