Accurate phones for concert prep - must backpack
Aug 23, 2019 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OrganMonster

100+ Head-Fier
I perform organ concerts now and I backpack my music and headphones. I need something that is very durable but can still sound very good. I just killed 2 phones recently, the AKG K7XX and the Denon A100. For home use I have the Zeinth headphones which is a modified OPPO PM-2 which I dearly love. Classical Organ can be very harsh in the treble when thru garbage phones. Also the bass can get down to 12 hz so some phones make it real muddy.

Some possibilities are the Shure 1540, AKG K712, Audeze Sine, Senn 600/660s, Master and Dynamic MH-40, BW P7 and others, and they all look very big and bulky.

I need help in searching for something that has very good sound reproduction and can be carried without getting destroyed. Also I am not sure how each organ amp is arranged and I will have no control over that so the phones may have to be used without additional amps.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 7
My budget is open. I lean towards closed phones but I also use open, so this is no problem either way. I have many Grado phones at home but I have not used them for many years, so uncomfortable.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
The advantage of the P7 is that it folds and so it is sort of backpack friendly potentially. It also has pretty deeply extending, fairly high-quality bass, which also could potentially work. Very well made in my opinion overall. Not sure where you are located, but you might see if you can get a look/listen at/to one and see what you think. Amazon is always a nice option, as you can return it if it doesn't work.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 7
I perform organ concerts now and I backpack my music and headphones. I need something that is very durable but can still sound very good. I just killed 2 phones recently, the AKG K7XX and the Denon A100. For home use I have the Zeinth headphones which is a modified OPPO PM-2 which I dearly love. Classical Organ can be very harsh in the treble when thru garbage phones. Also the bass can get down to 12 hz so some phones make it real muddy.

Some possibilities are the Shure 1540, AKG K712, Audeze Sine, Senn 600/660s, Master and Dynamic MH-40, BW P7 and others, and they all look very big and bulky.

I need help in searching for something that has very good sound reproduction and can be carried without getting destroyed. Also I am not sure how each organ amp is arranged and I will have no control over that so the phones may have to be used without additional amps.

Hi have u considered IEMs?
I play in a band on a bimonthly basis and after trying headphones and IEMs for stage monitoring, I've come to the realization that IEMs are more portable and give better isolation (especially if u get a good fit/customs). I've only been using IEMs for the past 10 years and gave up on headphones for stage monitoring.
But some of my bandmates still use headphones, mostly AKGs.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Checked on Amazon and the P7 is not available. What do you all think of the Master and Dynamic MH-40? Are just eye candy or do they actually perform?

Also I have a few pairs of high end IEM's. I have never really been a fan of iem's because they are hard to fit on me. I gave some companies fits at some of the CanJam conferences trying to get them to fit right. Not for me. Sorry.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 7
The real reason why I am asking on the forum is that I will be missing the next CanJam in Denver due to concerts I have to do. And the stereo stores are really far away. So I am stuck purchasing on line this time. I no no other choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back