Accurate HPA A281 VS Vaiolectic V281
Jul 23, 2020 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Golddy

New Head-Fier
Hi,All

I have a question about Accurate HPA A281 and Vaiolectic V281. In addition to the same external appearance, I would like to know if the sounds of both of them are the same?

Thank you so much

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Dec 25, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 9
The Accurate is a Chinese clone, the other is... The real amp.

That's like asking if there's any difference between a real Krell speaker amp a Chinese clone. Of course there's a difference.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Were you able to compare them? Apparently not. Did you have them in front of you at the same time and did you check if the circuits are the same? Apparently not. You are expressing your dislike for Chinese products more than a reality.... It's a pity, I was also interested in the question.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 9
Hey guys, glad this got brought up!

The Accurate A281 seems similar to the V281 but what the Chinese did here is nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately their naming scheme and copying the exterior didn't do them any favors so naturally discussions around them got drowned everywhere. One one hand their copycat approach is nothing short of shameful and absolutely idiotic but on the other hand they managed to pull of some extraordinary feats. The designer Kung Lao has a background in quantum physics and designed circuits for chinese military drones which rely on accuracy and precision. If you do reasearch on Schiit they also use military grade stuff for their DACs etc. which they reverse engineered so they can use their ultimate precision. Check Gungnir Multibit, Yggdrasil etc.

Anyway. Now you can guess why the amp is called "Accurate". However Kung Lao was only employed for this project and now sailed off to fund his own company after he saw that his highly valuable design was used in a cheap copycat shell after all. Really shameful and disgusting to be honest. Anyway:

Let me explain further about his approach:

The Accurate A281 has a zepto-clock and FPGA powered load and timing balancer inside the amplifiers circuit to load balance between the right amount of dampening, current and applying voltage depending on the impedance of the headphone, it's sensivity and the capacitance of the cables between the headphone and the amp. That way the A281 makes sure not to over- or underdamp the headphone. The measured profile is getting stored in an eeprom and applied everytime you connect the same setup.

Thus it's best to connect your headphones and their corresponding cables (which you naturally switch depending on your mood and music genre) in all realistic combinations and let the amp measure the load. Once you are done the amp is ready to go and it can even blend all profiles or - this is the even more amazing part:

Correct the timing differences.

Let's say you use a new cable which has more grunt, extension and bass than your previous one but you miss the naturaly decay and reverb of the highs of your previous headphone cable. The A281 can rebalance that situation automatically.

It's really genius but of course not as perfect as you might hope for such a absolutely unique design. There are still quirks like over- and undershooting the target reference but with a calibration reset (open the box, do not pull the mains plug) you can go back to the best previous state.

Anyway, glad someone brought back some attention to this design.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Were you able to compare them? Apparently not. Did you have them in front of you at the same time and did you check if the circuits are the same? Apparently not. You are expressing your dislike for Chinese products more than a reality.... It's a pity, I was also interested in the question.
LOOOOOOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back