Accurate desktop speakers
Apr 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #47 of 52
Well, hopefully they'll be hear Friday so I can enjoy them this weekend. Chose 2nd day air because I wasn't sure how long ground would take (probably a couple weeks) and forked over $77 for the shipping. Didn't get a tracking number email so I phoned FMD. They said the box was a probably in a different warehouse still sitting there, which it was. Kinda miffed about that but then they tell me that the Courier is asking $100 for the shipping. So I agree to pay the extra $25 cuz I really want them this week.

Whatever, then just minutes ago I'm searching on google for Prodipe pro 8 info as I'm bored. What do I see?

Prodipe Pro 8

$110 less just days later. :rolleyes:

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #48 of 52

Quote:
Well, hopefully they'll be hear Friday so I can enjoy them this weekend. Chose 2nd day air because I wasn't sure how long ground would take (probably a couple weeks) and forked over $77 for the shipping. Didn't get a tracking number email so I phoned FMD. They said the box was a probably in a different warehouse still sitting there, which it was. Kinda miffed about that but then they tell me that the Courier is asking $100 for the shipping. So I agree to pay the extra $25 cuz I really want them this week.

Whatever, then just minutes ago I'm searching on google for Prodipe pro 8 info as I'm bored. What do I see?

Prodipe Pro 8

$110 less just days later.
rolleyes.gif

That's some nasty luck right there.

Me on the other hand...

I'm really loving these speakers, however I don't think I'm doing them much of a favor with the onboard audio. Does anyone know just how bad the ALC889a chip is? I'd love to upgrade to a nice DAC with balanced outputs... though I'm going to wait to see how the new Onkyo card with X-Fi turns out.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #50 of 52
Awesome day. Got out of work early. My pin number for my new debit card was in the mail along with my Blue Jean cables for my speakers. And on my door was the courier slip for the speakers. Went downstairs picked up the 50+ lb box headed upstairs, took a quick shower as I had just worked out then started unpacking and setting up.

I almost didn't swap out the fuses as I didn't realize they had different markings on them. That would've been fun lol. So far I'm driving them straight out of my SACD player and I don't have foam yet so I'm not close to the sound they're capable of. Here's a few first impressions:

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade (Reiner, CSO, Living Stereo SACD): I've listened to this more than anything in the last couple months so of course I want to hear what these speakers can do with it. Violin still has the hypnotizing sonority that I love from my LCD-2s. Everything else pretty much sounds the same. I think it's gonna take awhile to adjust to stereo speakers though as I'm so used to having the image presented so close to my ear drum.

Messed around with the volume control on the back which by the pictures I assumed was just a db correction for whatever is driving it. Nope, it's a 40 step from -30 to +6 db, nice. Unfortunately living in an apartment building with paper thin walls I'm gonna have to be careful. These puppies can get quite loud really fast.

Listening to Gojira - From Mars to Sirius right now. Nice attack/decay on the cymbals. No details seem lost. At -30 db on the volume it's still plenty loud.

Next step foam and a DAC!

Cheers!

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #51 of 52
Decided to put the included foam feet on (more like stickers) each one came with 12 so I evenly dispersed them. Not sure if that made any difference. Put on Boston - Boston (the Scholz remaster) while doing some stuff and I kept noticing how great the vocals sound even though I was only listening passively.

Oh, forgot to mention the build quality is very nice. The speaker boxes seem very durable and the blue led on indicator is on the back of the box! Reminds me, need to buy some opaque tape to cover all my other blue leds, c'mon people!

Anyway I am quite excited as you might surmise!

:D

May 2, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #52 of 52
Interesting! Glad to hear you're liking them. I've used the feet as well but not all of them...as far as the LED's they are on the front on the ribbons so during the night with lights off they are very piercing...almost blinding, I have to tape mine up as well.

I've set them up on a new desk in a different area of the room but am facing quite a lack of bass now, and a rather uneven low-end response...not surprising really considering the room has no treatment. I'll have to build a few bass traps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back