Accuracy: ER6's Superiority over ER4P?
Feb 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by undo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it mean er4 isn't er4 unless it's er4s?

Well, it sort of means exactly that. But also sort of not.

The ER-4S and ER-4P share the same transducers, the same sound-making parts. But those parts are elements of an overall system that also includes some electronics (just resistance) that serve to adjust the frequency response. With one set of electronics, you get the ER-4S, their most accurate product. With a different set of electronics, you get the ER-4P, a more efficient but (because the frequency response is different) less accurate product according to the way they measure accuracy.

That doesn't mean the 4P lacks the 4S' general sonic signature, level of detail, and so forth. In those respects they're the same, at least for many people's purposes. But because the 4P adheres less closely to Etymotic's idealized frequency response than the 4S does, the 4P is rated less accurate. The ER-6 is a different design that can't keep up sonically with the ER-4S, but still rates as more accurate than the 4P according to the way Etymotic measures things.

That accuracy rating does not necessarily translate to musical enjoyment. Whether the ER-4P will sound better or worse to you than the ER-6 is highly subjective. Personally I find the 4P hard to listen to for more than a song or two at a time, because there's something subtly yet annoyingly wrong with its frequency response that just gets on my nerves. I have no such problem with the ER-6 or the ER-6i. Yet lots of people consider the ER-4P a sonic upgrade from the ER-6i or (less frequently, because fewer people have them) the ER-6.

I own most of the Ety line and would rank them as ER-4S > ER-6 > ER-6i > ER-4P. But your mileage may vary, and there are certainly lots of folks who disagree with me.

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 14
got your point, probably, episiarch. in fact, what you pay for is the "technology" and "upgradeability to 4s" of er-4p, as far as i'm concerned.

Quote:

because there's something subtly yet annoyingly wrong with its frequency response that just gets on my nerves.

...and i heard this a couple of times. still, your musical enjoyment ranking looked pretty interesting:

Quote:

ER-4S > ER-6 > ER-6i > ER-4P

thanks a lot.

Feb 6, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and suggest that accuracy may not directly represent sound quality. The deviation of the ER4P's lower frequencies probably precipitates a loss of accuracy. Accuracy, I think, might be largely based on the flatness of the frequency response graph.

The ER6's frequency response graph should definitely be flatter than that of the ER4P.

Feb 6, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and suggest that accuracy may not directly represent sound quality. The deviation of the ER4P's lower frequencies probably precipitates a loss of accuracy. Accuracy, I think, might be largely based on the flatness of the frequency response graph.

The ER6's frequency response graph should definitely be flatter than that of the ER4P.

graphCompare.php

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 14
There are actually a few head-fiers who prefer the ER-6 over the ER-4p or ER-4s. The ER-6 was probably desigined to sound a lot like the ER-4 series....but it uses cheaper materials and manufacturing processes (outsourced to china) resulting in a significantly lower price.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 14
interesting, i was not that fond of the er-6 (although i like the look but not the build feel) and liked my kramer e2c's but really wanted to try out the ER-4P's because of how praised it is. perhaps i will just stick with the shure line because i dont want to carry a little amp for my portable rig.

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

The ER-6 was probably desigined to sound a lot like the ER-4 series....but it uses cheaper materials and manufacturing processes (outsourced to china) resulting in a significantly lower price.

Dear RollsDownWindowsManually,
Is this the "sole factor" or the "primary factor" for the pricing strategy of Etymotic Research? Because if the first is true, I'd better not pay 100 bucks more.

I mean, aren't there any factors other than material/manufacturing quality for ER4 to deserve those 100 bucks?

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 14
I have them both. To me, the ER-4P sounds more refined, more detailed. It's also overall better built - for example the cables are 4x thicker than E-6's, and quite stiff. On the other hand, the tube where you attach the tips is metal for E-6, plastic for ER-4P. You get more filters, tri-flanges, foamies for the ER-4P (3 pairs of each, if i remember correctly, vs. 1 pair of each for the E-6), which negate a bit of the price differential. I use the ER-4P with Shure Soft Flex tips for the improved comfort they provide, but I still find the E-6 with the stock bi-flanges to be more comfortable. Hope this helps

-Daniel

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by undo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear RollsDownWindowsManually,
Is this the "sole factor" or the "primary factor" for the pricing strategy of Etymotic Research? Because if the first is true, I'd better not pay 100 bucks more.

I mean, aren't there any factors other than material/manufacturing quality for ER4 to deserve those 100 bucks?

The ER4 defintely sounds different (4 out of 5 listeners would probably say significantly better), but better is always subjective. The ER4 is listed by etymotic as having higher accuracy, wider frequency response, higher maximum output, and a longer warranty. Does all that equate to audibly better sound? To most, the answer is yes.

There is really no way to know if the 100 extra dollars for the ER4 is justifiable without listening to both beforehand and making your own decision. Most people who have bothered to listen to both the ER4 and ER6 or ER6i say it is worth it, but a few say it isn't, just like some people say the SR225 sounds about the same as the RS-1, the HD580 is about the same as the HD650, etc etc.

As a very happy ER-6i owner, I am personally on the verge of ordering some ER-4's just to see how good they can get. At worst, purchasing the ER4 helps an american business in their continuing effort to manufacture an american made product (one of the same reasons I don't mind paying a little more for Grados than I would a comparable european or asian product).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back