Accuphase releases DP-700!
Feb 10, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ASR ... I have an Accuphase DP-77 SACD player, and it is the best piece of audio gear I've ever owned. Its merits reveal themselves over days, weeks, and months of ownership and operation. The precision of the cd drawer opening and closing, the rock solid feedback of the controls, and the amazing sound ... an almost indescribable combination of detail and smoothness never heard from other digital gear.

I also have an Accuphase A-20 Class A power amp ... an amazing power source for K1000s or speakers.

So ... I completely understand your desire to move up to the DP-700, but for me ... I must resist ... must resist ....

ps: we should have discussed our Accuphase love at MOA .... oh well, another chance at CanJam '08 in May, right?
biggrin.gif

Al is correct, I moved out of California so there was no way I could've made it to MOA, oh well. Looks like it was a smashing time! I'd love to check out your DP-77 at CanJam, I've read lots of praise for that model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heheh Asr is tempted again.. Take one for the team!!

While I'd like to hear the DP-700 (and probably will sometime at a local dealer), I can say with absolute certainty that I'm not actually interested in owning it. Sorry. It's far too heavy & bulky for me to deal with and I've learned that both the DP-700 and DP-500 are not ideal balanced sources.

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I've learned that both the DP-700 and DP-500 are not ideal balanced sources.

Why is that?

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Man what a killer machine! Features over the DP-500:

+ SACD playback
+ MDSD digital signal processing (moving-average filter w/ 7 delay devices)
+ AD1955 DAC chip, 8 per channel (16 total)
+ two toroidal transformers
+ encased in a wooden cabinet

Link: Precision MDSD SA-CD Player DP-700

The only thing stopping me from upgrading from the DP-500 is the increased weight to 59 lbs...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider
8 DAC per channel?!? God, and I was writing in another thread about how great Cambridge Audio 840C was with its 2 AD DACs per channel... I wonder how the Accuphase sounds.

When they say 8 DACs per channel they are a bit misleading. They are referring to the actual digital to analog converter, of which there are two inside a stereo DAC chip like the AD1955. In other words, they use 4 AD1955 DAC chips per channel, or 8 in total.

When Cambridge Audio say 2 DACs, they mean two actual DAC chips.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is that?

Both the DP-500 and DP-700 use a JRC NE5532 for the op-amp, which I've learned impedes slew rate and gives higher distortion than nominal.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #20 of 33
I've been wanting the Accuphase DP85 for awhile and has to wonder how much better is the DP700 to the DP85. Given the price tag and 5 or 6 year of development, this player must sound amazing. I still want to own the DP100 and DC101 one day.

So the DP700 is second from the top of the line from the DP800/DC801 right?

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the DP700 is second from the top of the line from the DP800/DC801 right?

Indeed it is. In fact, here's how Accuphase orders their digital sources on their Web site:

- DP-800/DC-801
- DP-700
- DP-500
- DP-78
- DP-67
- DP-57

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #22 of 33
Dang... It's down to the opamps eh... I hate this hobby. Just when you think you've found the perfect player, something like this comes up. I guess it could be modded? O where, o where is the perfect player??? Show yourself!!!

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Indeed it is. In fact, here's how Accuphase orders their digital sources on their Web site:

- DP-800/DC-801
- DP-700
- DP-500
- DP-78
- DP-67
- DP-57

I thought that the DP-78 will be better than the DP-500 given that it replaced the DP-77.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #24 of 33
So many manufacturers are still using the NE5532... I guess it's good enough for a lot of cases, even though it's a "jelly bean." All of the Benchmark Media DACs use NE5532s for the single-ended and balanced outputs, and they claim that cost was no object when selecting parts for the designs. I imagine Accuphase easily could have put something else in place of the NE5532s, but unless they're trying to save a few dollars on every model, why would they make this choice if another op-amp would be better?

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So many manufacturers are still using the NE5532... I guess it's good enough for a lot of cases, even though it's a "jelly bean." All of the Benchmark Media DACs use NE5532s for the single-ended and balanced outputs, and they claim that cost was no object when selecting parts for the designs. I imagine Accuphase easily could have put something else in place of the NE5532s, but unless they're trying to save a few dollars on every model, why would they make this choice if another op-amp would be better?

Yes, I agree to. Accuphase should start using a true balance XLR created from transformer.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

I found out the official US SRP of the DP-700 from a local dealer - $22K. Holy crap!
eek.gif

How much was the dealer selling it for?

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 33
I found out the price from a piece of literature that came in the mail.
redface.gif
No idea how much it could be bargained down. I have tried bargaining on two other high-ticket components before (neither of which I ended up buying) and both dealers offered no more than 10% off SRP. If that's an industry rule...

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 33
Ouch! Then that's quite a price hike from what they go for over here. On the other hand it was even better with the nice exchange rate earlier, now it's not so "cheap".
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #30 of 33
The DP700 is $22,000 srp!

I ve heard the DP78, DP500 and the 800/801.

DP500 is a very good cd player.
DP78 is more refine and detailed than DP500.
800/801 is basically nearing perfection!
The one big difference between the 800/801 vs DP500 in an a/b comparison is that. You can play the separates very very loud without the sound becoming confused. Its very composed. All the details, layers of separation, etc is there. It is soul moving!
However at $34k - wow.
I personally now using DP500 and will probably just upgrade to a DP78 in the near future.
Accuphase source is just something else. It has to be heard to believe. They do take a while to break in but its well worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back