Accuphase E-650
Jun 16, 2018 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

runnin17

100+ Head-Fier
I made a major upgrade to my system a few weeks ago. A shiny new Accuphase E-650 arrived and I have been putting it through the paces with my Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento's since it was setup.

Of course a significant improvement was noticed immediately. I was previously using a Yamaha A-S801 integrated for my 2-channel listening and a Grace m9xx for my headphones. The main difference I have noticed with the amp is the absolute control it exerts over my SF Guarneri's. The amp seems to always be pushing the Guarneri's for more without having any harshness. It has taken my whole system that much closer to having the speakers completely disappear into the music.

But what about the headphone amp you say? Well, I decided to finally give this a try after a couple of weeks just enjoying my Guarneri's. My main headphones that I use for everyday tasks are the AKG m7xx's and thus I am most familiar with their sound signature. I also use Beyer DT990 600ohm manufaktur's quite often so I have been going back and forth between the two.

Just with initial listening over the course of a few hours I am incredibly happy with the headphone section of the E-650. I naturally would expect a top-of-the-line integrated to have stellar sound throughout, but I have seen plenty of reviews that have been disappointed with the headphone section of high-end audio components that were mainly focused on 2-channel speaker setups. Needless to say, I am extremely happy. This amp is a statement piece and will be the center of my 2-channel setup (both speaker and headphone) for many, many years to come :D

IMG_5456.jpg

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 7
The best synergy that i heard was the Grado RS1i out off the headphone section Accup E460, it's amazing!

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 7
I sometimes use the headphone output of an Accuphase 507U for convenience (like watching TV), and it's OK, but even my old Headroom Max amp from Tyll is much better. (In fact way, way, better; very musical and insightful, while the Accuphase is sort of flat and basic.)

I think you are mistaken on the brand of whatever amp you are using. Accuphase never made a 507u. That sounds like a luxman number to me. I wouldn't say luxman and accuphase are equal in terms of quality.

Granted luxman is a very good brand, but IMO they are not in the same class as accuphase.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 7
I made a major upgrade to my system a few weeks ago. A shiny new Accuphase E-650 arrived and I have been putting it through the paces with my Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento's since it was setup.

Of course a significant improvement was noticed immediately. I was previously using a Yamaha A-S801 integrated for my 2-channel listening and a Grace m9xx for my headphones. The main difference I have noticed with the amp is the absolute control it exerts over my SF Guarneri's. The amp seems to always be pushing the Guarneri's for more without having any harshness. It has taken my whole system that much closer to having the speakers completely disappear into the music.

But what about the headphone amp you say? Well, I decided to finally give this a try after a couple of weeks just enjoying my Guarneri's. My main headphones that I use for everyday tasks are the AKG m7xx's and thus I am most familiar with their sound signature. I also use Beyer DT990 600ohm manufaktur's quite often so I have been going back and forth between the two.

Just with initial listening over the course of a few hours I am incredibly happy with the headphone section of the E-650. I naturally would expect a top-of-the-line integrated to have stellar sound throughout, but I have seen plenty of reviews that have been disappointed with the headphone section of high-end audio components that were mainly focused on 2-channel speaker setups. Needless to say, I am extremely happy. This amp is a statement piece and will be the center of my 2-channel setup (both speaker and headphone) for many, many years to come :D

IMG_5456.jpg

I was looking into this amp for a 2 channel system... Has anyone tried the speaker taps from the E650 into a susvara, 1266 phi tc, or HE6 ? Wondering how it sounds with no attenuators straight form the taps.

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I have been driving the susvara , TC off my e650
Absolutely sublime off the speaker taps.

The 1/4 “ out is fantastic as well for all easier HPs …
Given the ridiculous prices of headphones amps nowadays for more so hard to drive and demanding plannars .. this is really good option
I use speaker A taps set for HP adaptor out
Speaker B drive my tannoys
And the standard hp out does all the duties with dynamic cans

This 30 watt class a is one high quality solution for all rather

Attachments

• DB11F3A9-2B7D-4790-BE2C-04AE8AFE684F.jpeg
    DB11F3A9-2B7D-4790-BE2C-04AE8AFE684F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 7

IMG_5456.jpg
A classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back