Accoustic Guitar Recomendations
Feb 23, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #31 of 49
Dug out the album When Juniper Sleeps by Solas's frontman Seamus Egan, and I once again marvelled at what a great player of the nylon-string guitar he is:

B000000E8N.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Egan plays traditional Irish tunes as well as his own compositions. His take on the old chestnut The Mason's Apron is absolutely stunning. Egan also plays a wide range of instrument in addition to the guitar: pipes, flutes and banjo.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #33 of 49
Dave Matthews Band - Live At Luther College

It's more mainstream, but it's still an excellent album. I'm actually listening to it right now
580smile.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Dave Matthews Band - Live At Luther College

It's more mainstream, but it's still an excellent album. I'm actually listening to it right now
580smile.gif

Thanks for this one. I just got it and is a very cool!
icon10.gif

I will listen to the rest of it later tonight.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #35 of 49
Nils Lofgren - Acoustic live
Ryan Adams - Sweden, Wynona and Me

Great acoustic guitar live recordings. But both are out of print and might be hard to get ahold of. But if you find them buy them! you can't go wrong with these two.

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #36 of 49
Pat Metheny - One Quiet night
Joe Pass - Virtuoso 1-4
Martin Taylor

Joe Pass/ Martin Taylor arent playing an acoustic but the guitar is miced, so u get close to an acoustic type sound.

The gypsy jazz stuff is also excellent acoustic music :
Django Reinhardt
Rosenberg Trio

Also suprised nobody mentioned Tommy Emmanuel...check him out playing something like Classical Gas by Mason Williams. Amazingly the guitar doesnt fall to pieces
wink.gif

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #39 of 49
Hi again

I also remembered some nice acoustic recording made by Ritchie Blackmore (of Deep Purple fame). Under the band name of Blackmore's Night, he has some very nice middle ages/celtic style recordings with his wife doing nice vocals. "Under a Violet Moon" is a very nice album.

There is also Tuck Andress, who plays fingerstyle acoustic.

Al di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Jean Luc Ponty - Rite of Strings, is an amazing acoustic album that everyone surely has by now.

Lenny Breau, Charlie Byrd are other highly regarded acoustic jazzers.

Cheers

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 49
For any love of acoustic music, especially folk, singer-songwriters, and guitar pyrotechnics, I can'r reccomend Willy Porter enough.

High Wire Live is a solo acoustic album (with a brief appearance from the lead guitarist from Jethro Tull) that is brilliantly played and written. Amazing lyricist and voice as well. He should be a superstar.

Check him out here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=i19Lp-RQM...willy%20porter

And here:
www.willyporter.com

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #42 of 49
For sure for the technicality if thats your thing

john mclaughlin

my personal favorite now for pure beauty creativity

Masada guitars

Always Kottke and Fahey are good for sure

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #43 of 49
Kaki King - Legs to Make us Longer

I saw her live at the winnipeg folk festival and she rocked my world, instant crush. She is a very talented and progressive acoustic guitarist. She does a lot of tapping and other things usually confined to metal. I love it.

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #44 of 49
Let's not forget the great gypsy guitarist Bireli Lagrene. His record titled "Duet" with Sylvain Luc is a remarkable achievement.

You might also consider Mike Keneally's "Wooden Smoke". Extremeley creative virtuostic acoustic stuff...

Enjoy!

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #45 of 49
Sandy Bull.

The first time I heard him, I was like, What!?! Then when I found out it was recorded in 1963 my head just about exploded. He's really like nothing else I've ever heard. Like Ravi Shankar playing guitar. Also, he does Orff's Carmina Burana on banjo - really incredible. I don't know why he isn't more well known.

Amazon's got tracks - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Users who are viewing this thread

Back