Acclaimed Violinists and Crippling Acupuncturists
May 10, 2006 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
Long ago, I used to seek the ministrations of a poetic needle-wielding lady for my mind-atomizing insomnia. Though she was a licensed acupuncturist, and the treatment seemed to help, I won't be trying that sort of thing again after reading this:

Quote:

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Re: Pamela Frank

Frank sustained a left arm injury. From this she recovered after time
took its course. Sadly, while still suffering from this injury, she
accepted an "alternative medicine" treatment that sought to correct the
problem by treating the right arm. As a result, her bow arm is weakened
and she cannot use it over sustained time as a result, she cannot perform.

She is currently at the Peabody Institute as an instructor.

A cellist friend has confirmed that, indeed, Frank suffers from prohibitive health issues as the result of allowing herself to be treated by an acupuncturist-in-training. Unnerving, to reflect that she used to record albums regularly, and performed in a trio with Emanuel Ax and Yo-Yo Ma.

May 10, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 4
The last post on that page say's the following:
Quote:

Actually an exercise contraption. It didn't involve the acupuncture used
on Frank...

So perhaps it's still safe. I've never heard of negative effects from accupuncture before, although I imagine proper sterilization of the needles would be a must. I had accupuncture performed a couple of times to relieve back pain but it didn't seem to help. Then again, I can't say that the chiropractor nor shiatsu masseuse who performed it on me, seemed like experts.

May 10, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Acupuncture is safe. Whether it actually does anything is up for debate, but the 1997 NIH consensus panel that studied acupuncture concluded that "adverse side effects of acupuncture are extremely low and often lower than conventional treatments" and "the incidence of adverse effects is substantially lower than that of many drugs or other accepted medical procedures used for the same condition." In other words, you're more likely to have a bad side effect from a drug or treatment your physician prescribes than from going to an acupuncturist.

May 10, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 4
There are risks going in for any type of treatment. Look at all the medical malpratice cases out there and people still go into the see doctors.
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back