Accidently got very hot water in my ears!!!
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ohhgourami

Headphoneus Supremus
I just finished taking a shower and forgot to rinse out the soap in my ears so I turned on the faucent to scoop some water into my ear to rinse it.  The moment I scooped the water in my ear, the water got really HOT (theres a delay in the hot water in my house) and it burned like crazy.  I tried balancing it by scooping in some cold water after.  But my ear kinda hurt for a bit and still has a slight, very slight tingle.  Do you guys think I could have damaged my hearing?  I'm very worried!!!

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
You should NEVER put a cotton swab in your ear.

What is the danger in putting a Q-tip in your ear? Other than the awful, awful sound and sensation, is there any kind of danger?

I'd just let the ear rest, OP. It sounds like you mildly burned it, like you would your tongue from biting into a particularly hot and juicy brat. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 8
You put soap into your ear???

I think cotton swabs are okay if and only if you hold them such that you can't poke yourself too deep in the ear (i.e. hold them, say, 1cm from the end), and if you're very careful.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 8
The wax in there is not a bad thing :O  It keeps the canal dry and helps fight infections.  Also inserting q-tips into the ear can pack down the softer wax and make a dam.  Too much scraping around in there can lead to problems.  If you read a package of Q-Tips it specifically states they are for use OUTSIDE the ear.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
What is the danger in putting a Q-tip in your ear? Other than the awful, awful sound and sensation, is there any kind of danger?

Yes, there is! Risk of eardrum puncture, unnecessary removal of protective earwax, itchy ear canals for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back