Acceptable to Y-split IDENTICAL headphones from an amp?
Feb 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Aelius

Head-Fier
I've read several threads on Head-Fi about Y-splitting, but responses tend to warn of problems related to different headphones (impedance mismatching and whatnot), or of the need for adequate power to drive the halved signal.

My question is whether there are any problems with Y-splitting identical headphones (specifically: HD 600) after an amp (specifically, the Audio-GD NFB 12.1). With one HD 600, comfortable listening volume is obtained with the amp's volume knob at about 40% on low gain, and at like 15-20% on high gain. I assume that means the amp could easily handle two of these? If so, are there any other audio quality concerns with such a Y-splitting setup? I just don't want to buy a second pair of HD 600 without being reasonably confident it'll be okay.

I ask because the girlfriend and I like to watch movies and watch each other play single-player video games, both on the computer, but I'd prefer not to have to use speakers when we do so.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 4
Feb 19, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 4
I stated my opinion in the linked thread, and IMO if the amp has sufficient reserves to handle the current draw there's nothing that speaks against using 2 heaphones on the same output. As stated, CHORD Mojo has a "built in Y-splitter" i.e. 2 outputs connected to the same amp circuit, explicitely for the purpose of connecting to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back