Acceptable source?
Mar 17, 2004 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uosux

100+ Head-Fier
I am using a Nomad Zen Xtra for my source, with -APS mp3s. Is this an "acceptable" source? By acceptable I mean is it going to allow me to move up any higher in quality when I add amps, new phones etc.? Is this going to be the limiting factor as I progress? The problem is I have few CDs, so my DAP is what I'd like to stick with if I had a choice.

Mar 17, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 6
I think I have to ask "how high is high?" If you'll stick to mp3 you really don't have to step up a lot in equipment to see the limitations of mp3 itself. As for amps I would personally not get one for the Xtra as I find it has a headphone amp that is good enough for mp3-files. Just get fairly easily driven headphones and I think you'll be happy with it.

Mar 17, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by uosux
Don't people often claim -APS is "transparent" or close to it?

I think it's good no doubt, but I found it doesn't take that much to hear a difference compared to the original cd even with just a decent source/amp. For casual listening I don't notice it, but with my entire mind focused on the music the differences in details are there.

Mar 19, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 6
I usually try to listen at home in a mostly quiet environment. Often while using the computer.

Edit: What I am trying to get at is, will it be pointless for me to dump money into amps and better phones if I stick with -APS mp3s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back