AC voltage change US(110V-120V) to EU(220V-240V)
May 22, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 6
But still very good question! There are so many good US 115V only hardware at decent prices. I wonder if "modding" them to work with 230V would be doable?

May 22, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 6
In my experience the quality of power supplies are important for sound quality. So I doubt that the cheap converter would be good, rather something like exchanging a high quality PS in the component with a really cheap one. However, there are possibilities of convertion. Transformers are used as power conditioners for 115V to 115V or 230V to 230V, to isolate the component from AC line noise. I think that the same would be possible with a voltage transformer, but a high quality transformer is expensive and could result in no net saving on the import. Another possiblity is the PS Audio P300 power regenerator that can output 115V from a 230 AC line. But this one is also expensive.
It should be easier to convert a low current component as a CDP successfully than a power amplifier that is much more dependent on large and fast power delivery. But how to know if there is any difference in how it sounds on 115V?

Many power supplies on components can be rewired for 230V for those who have the know-how (please, don't ask me how to do). This requires that it is rewirerable, many are because that makes export adaptation easy for the manufacturer.

May 22, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
I don't know if this would affect the sound or not, but here's a simple solution.

http://www.voltageconverters.com/ite...tId=&ic=VC100W

I used a voltage similar to this one when i first bought the HE60/HEV70 rig and it worked just fine.

May 23, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 6
WOW I put in one . and replies come flying out of the sky
Thanks guys.

i guess the balance to consider is
/the cost of importing a 115V + good new transformer(+ work)/
against
/the quality of the 230V transformer that comes with an amp and the total cost of it in 230V countries/

like someone mentioned, this has come to my attention as im using one of the cheap transformers from Voltageconverters, and it delivers no doubt, but at the cost of that effin hum we dont appreciate too much...

The idea of modding is interesting, exactly because , like someone put it, its supposed to be easy and convenient for the manufacturors to do it...

as for behringer its not produced in the states as far as i know, and under a 115V 60Hz sticker on the back appeared the original writing on the metal 230V 50Hz...also the fuse at the power entry is a T2H230V
adding it up: It is suspicious!

, and the internal power transformer or I guess conditioner, or sth like a PSU in a computer, it enters 115V and splits out to tubes and boards and all that at different voltages...

aaa... Marvin, what do you make of all this?
(mr. travolta for those who dont recall)

-cancancanakas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back