AC adapters
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

furball

100+ Head-Fier
My portable speakers accept 18v DC input. I have an AC adapter that puts out 24v. Is it safe to use this adapter with my portable speakers?

And where is a good place to buy travel AC adapters that will take both 110v and 220v inputs? I just need one to power small items like portable speakers, etc., but not my laptop.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 5
too much voltage will generate a lot of heat and will eventually fry something. aside from voltage though, you also need to take into consideration current requirements (measured in amperes).

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My portable speakers accept 18v DC input. I have an AC adapter that puts out 24v. Is it safe to use this adapter with my portable speakers?

And where is a good place to buy travel AC adapters that will take both 110v and 220v inputs? I just need one to power small items like portable speakers, etc., but not my laptop.

Depends on the regulator design of your portable speaker. but most likely not.

you can go to Fry's or Radioshack to buy an adaptor that go 110v and 220v.

You'll need to make sure you have the correct connectors. The connectors can purchased separately. There are some that comes with adjustable voltage and a set of connectors. I bought one from from Fry's with a connectors and adjustable voltage. I don't remember how much I paid but it's not expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back