[Absolute newbie] Need help deciding what to buy
Nov 11, 2009 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

byte

New Head-Fier
First off: Sorry for spamming your forum with posts like these. I realize you guys probably get these a lot and that being an enthusiast forum you might have little patience for the newbie. I've tried reading various sticky posts in an attempt to decide for myself but often the advice goes over my head or leaves me confused.

So I'm severely limited by price, at the most being able to charge 60$ for these headphones (not earbuds), but more comfortably around 50$. I'll be using these headphones for use with my computer and occasionally to travel with. Portability is a perk but not absolutely required.

As for open/closed, I'm not really sure. I hear quality suffers on closed headphones, but I also have heard that open headphones suffer when you are not in a quiet room. I guess I'm open to either option, but I'm thinking more towards open headphones.

I found these, which I see several users here have reviewed. They look nice for my purposes and the price is right, but a few people have criticized the JVC brand.

In addition to those I've looked at Portapros and the PX100 line of Sennheisers, the latter of which I'm more interested in, before the JVC ones were brought up. If there are any other similar or better headphones, please mention them. Otherwise, I'm likely to go with the JVCs.

Thanks,
byte

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to Head-fi! Sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The HARX700 is ~30 on amazon, and is a steal FWIR. PortaPro's are good, and they're semi-open.

The DT 235 is very comfortable, and sound great. A STEAL. FWIR, the D301K is quite nice as well. $50.

The PX100 is available and are great. However, the iGrado uses SR60 drivers, a 'phone highly praised here. Behind the neck, $50.

BTW, what music do you listen to?

NONE ABOVE $55.
bigsmile_face.gif
(excluding shipping).
redface.gif

Happy listening!

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 5
The HA-M750 are a step up from the PX100 and PortaPros. They're on-level with the iGrados and the Yuin G2A as the best sub-$50 portables. Also, unlike the other four, they are closed and can isolate some outside noise. They are
also circumaural and pretty large for portables, but at least they fold. I find them fairly comfortable, though not as comfortable as the older HA-S700.

What I'm curious of is, what is this criticism of the JVC brand that you have heard?

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 5
I am a huge fan of both the PortaPros and PX100's. Neither of these will dissapoint, in the sub-$50 category at least. They sound, let's see, "very rich", with SQ (sound quality) significantly better than their price-point would predict.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 5
Well I'm starting to think the criticism was just personal feelings... I was speaking to two DJs about them but they were wanting me to buy a 140$ pair of headphones.

The music I listen to is pretty varied genre-wise and mostly MP3 V0/V2, some FLAC albums too. I hear that certain headphones sound better depending on the music but I don't think I'm able to account for all the music I listen to.

The PX100s have gotten rave reviews from what I can see and I'm likely to buy them over the Portapros; however, if the JVCs I mentioned are a bit better for a little bit more, I'll just go with those. The DT 235s look really nice too, but again I'm not sure how'd they compare against the JVCs. Also, I'm not considering buying behind the neck headphones as they are really uncomfortable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back