Absolute best open cans for $150-160?
Feb 4, 2016 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ChriffeR

100+ Head-Fier
I have made numerous annoying threads about certain headphones, such as the AD700x/900x, Beyerdynamic DT990's (250 ohm ).  AKG K612 Pros, Kxx massdrop editions, and etc and etc... The problem is I decided I wanted some audiophile headphones over my current gaming headset as I already have a Blue Snowball Microphone, so why not just buy HEADPHONES and get away from this muddy crappy distorting gaming headset sound! Now I've raised my budget awhile back and don't really wanna dip into the $200 area anymore so I'm dialed back ( mostly to keep the wife happy! ) and decided to pick up a set of cans around $150-160, with the exception of the DT990 pros (250 ohm). ANYWHO for this price range what are the absolute best headphones I could possibly get? My main thing once I hop on the PC is Gaming/Music, I wanna start watching some movies as well once I get a good set of cans! I normally leaned towards the AD900x but I don't wanna risk them due to the wing support and etc I know they have an awesome soundstage for gaming but I'm just going to pass on it.

Are the HD598's really the king for this pricepoint? Or do the K612 pros, or the dt990 pros beat them? Let me know please, I will be powering whatever cans you guys recommend with either the E10k, Schiit Fulla or the Soundblaster Z sound card!

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 18
Let me show you the headset I currently use, so anything in that price range I assume will be a HUGE upgrade!

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G230-Stereo-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00BFOEY4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454597130&sr=8-1&keywords=g230

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 18
  I have made numerous annoying threads about certain headphones, such as the AD700x/900x, Beyerdynamic DT990's (250 ohm ).  AKG K612 Pros, Kxx massdrop editions, and etc and etc... The problem is I decided I wanted some audiophile headphones over my current gaming headset as I already have a Blue Snowball Microphone, so why not just buy HEADPHONES and get away from this muddy crappy distorting gaming headset sound! Now I've raised my budget awhile back and don't really wanna dip into the $200 area anymore so I'm dialed back ( mostly to keep the wife happy! ) and decided to pick up a set of cans around $150-160, with the exception of the DT990 pros (250 ohm). ANYWHO for this price range what are the absolute best headphones I could possibly get? My main thing once I hop on the PC is Gaming/Music, I wanna start watching some movies as well once I get a good set of cans! I normally leaned towards the AD900x but I don't wanna risk them due to the wing support and etc I know they have an awesome soundstage for gaming but I'm just going to pass on it.

Are the HD598's really the king for this pricepoint? Or do the K612 pros, or the dt990 pros beat them? Let me know please, I will be powering whatever cans you guys recommend with either the E10k, Schiit Fulla or the Soundblaster Z sound card!

I wouldn't say the 598 is king. It is very good at its price-point. I enjoy mine a lot. But looking at the three cans you mention, it really just comes down to personal preference, to personal choice. You should read the impressions threads on all three, if you haven't already done so. That will help inform you as to what the users are thinking and feeling. If you have someplace to listen to them before you buy, that would be ideal. The biggest difference--other than sound signature-- may be that the 598 doesn't need an amp, but you have a power source, so that is not really an issue for you.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 18
If you want the most neutral, natural and balanced sound under USD 150 then HD 598 is King.

Although HD 598 isn't neutral per say, it is overall the best choice when compared with grossly unnatural/coloured stuff like DT 990.

Though technically there may be others with similar distortion/resolution.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 18
I wish I've looked all-over online for places that have headphones out on display, not even guitar center puts them out on display :frowning2:.. I have been reading about all the headphones for this whole week as I've been getting super anxious to pull the trigger as I get paid tomorrow. Everytime I feel like I've decided there is something that changes my mind.. I really wanted the AD900x's, but I don't even wanna mess with the 3D wings, I wanted Beyerdynamic 990 (250 ohms) then everybody says they have some issues with comfortability n etc ahhh! LOL 

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 18
That's what I thought, the problem is there isn't a " best " and that's what im used to is getting the best I need to accept they all are good but with different sound signatures

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 18
From What I read the K612 are as power hungry as their K/Q7.. brothers. So from the experience with my Q701 I would strongly recommend getting an amp for them, and then they're not in your budget anymore. With 250 Ohm of impedance I would consider the DT990s as hard to drive too, but I have noch experiences with them, so take this with a grain of salt.
The advantage of the Sennheisers is, that you really can't go wrong with them since they're easy to drive and easy to listen to. I think they're probably the best start when getting into higher quality without breaking the bank.
And above all, it's really as mentioned before, there's no "best". You really should look into the reviews and take the individual sound signatures of the Headphones into account.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 18
Well my budget for headphones is roughly $150, that's not including a power source. So all in all I can go higher would it make more sense just to buy a more expensive set of cans then a more powerful source other than onboard later down the road?

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 18
If you have an iPhone, I do it an amp/DAC. Just get a HD 598. The same is true for any Apple product.

If you have a PC, get an Asus DGX.

If you have a laptop, get a Schiit Fulla.

If you've an android phone, get an iPhone. :p Seriously, I'd omit dark sounding Fiio products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back