Absolute best LOSSY codec?
Dec 5, 2009 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
What's the best lossy codec I can use in terms of Sound Quality? I heard Nero AAC tops the charts, but I have trouble finding it.

I found the NERO AAC encoder, but they just have the encoder, decoder and tagging exe files. Which don't do anything when I click on them. How do I use them with a program like EAC? It doesn't work with user defined compression codec

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard Nero AAC tops the charts

That was probably in comparison to an older version of itunes. I dont think hydrogen has tested the latest itunes aac. Anyway, for real world tunes, I find Nero aac to have a slightly rounded sound coloration while lame mp3 vbr is more aggressive yet grainier and less extended in the upper highs. I cant say that on hydrogen though cause they will ban my ass for that and shout placebo. With the new itunes aac, I think I can hear a slight difference with flac but cant confirm it in a blind test like nero and lame which is easier to find colorations.

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 15
I use 320kbps, AAC VBR.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Lossy Audio Codec's Comparison [HUGE amount of pics] [iTunes UPDATE on p.7] - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Read through this, look at the diagrams, and decide for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif
LC-AAC is almost perfect at 320.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 15
I typically use -q6 Ogg Vorbis, but that's just to transcode my FLAC collection for portable use. I'm quite satisfied with Ogg, though I don't know if it's the "best".

Are you asking what's the best bang-for-your-byte compression? Because if you just want SQ, LAME-encoded -V0 MP3 is great, but not terribly space-efficient.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 15
I think it will be hard to beat Musepack when it comes to sound quality per bit.
Musepack

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I found the NERO AAC encoder, but they just have the encoder, decoder and tagging exe files. Which don't do anything when I click on them. How do I use them with a program like EAC? It doesn't work with user defined compression codec

Imho you don't need to look for more, and if you are using a ipod its the way to go.

I use the nero aac encoder since five or six years ago. With the -q5 quality flag (default) the sound is transparent for me most of the times and the files are way smaller than mp3 v0 files.

I use foobar to transcode from flac, then rename the files to m4a to use on the ipod.

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 15
I would rank the codecs in this order, based on sound quality only:
1) Musepack
2) Vorbis
3) AAC
4) MP3

A bit depending on the encoder used (for AAC and MP3).
There are more to it than sound quality when choosing a lossy codec though. Hardware/Software support, features, encoding time, and more to name the most important ones.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I heard Nero AAC tops the charts, but I have trouble finding it.

Nero AAC Codec

Quote:

I found the NERO AAC encoder, but they just have the encoder, decoder and tagging exe files. Which don't do anything when I click on them.

They're command line apps just like LAME.

Quote:

How do I use them with a program like EAC? It doesn't work with user defined compression codec

Then you're doing it wrong(tm): Recommended Settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back