Absinth...
Nov 3, 2005 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
My wife's birthday recently passed (Oct. 31st) and her friend who came over from switzerland, brought her a bottle of absinth. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it. I've used google but I'm looking for some other personal opinions. Any advice would be good...looking for things such as drinking techniques, how much should you drink?...I realize that will depend on the person, but I mean would it be ok to just drink that? or is it the type of drink you have maybe two or three of in a night max?

As far as I can tell it was, and still is illegal in many countries so I'm not sure what to make of this stuff. If it matters the brand name is "Fruko Schulz Absinth". One more thing...do you really hallucinate when you drink this stuff?
confused.gif

Thanks in advance...

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 23
hmm,

start with a shot glass, and take a shot and see how it grabs you.. Don't just pour a glass full of this, you will get sick to your stomach and barf your brains out. The stuff smells nice, but it doesn't taste nice!

It's effects will be probablly achieved from a shot or 2 i think. I had absynthe a few times. The wormwood version can only be bought in europe, i had some in mexico that didn't have wormwood, it's legal there. The european stuff is the best.

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 23
Well this is from Europe...I too have had it (only once) and bought it here, in Canada, at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). The bottle, which I split on with some friends was about $90 for a 26 ouncer if I remember correctly, but I only had two drinks from it. One was a shot, which was terrible...and one where you pour water over a suger cube into a pre-poured shot...5 shots of water to one of absinth i think. I got more info like this from google, but wondered if anyone else had tried it, or maybe knew another way to drink it. I'm not too sure if my wife will be too fond of it to be honest. I think that this variety is stronger than the one I got here too...The one from europe is 70%, I'll need to check the LCBO and see what theirs was...

EDIT: went to the LCBO website...The Hill's one I had was 70% as well

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 23
wow, i know alot about absinthe now... alot more hahah.

cool.

found this interesting:

The effect of well-made absinthe varies from person to person, but is typically no more marked than the mild “buzz” one gets from
drinking tequila. Generally, it can best be described as a kind of heightened clarity of mind and vision, warmed by the effect of the alcohol.
This seems to wear off after 20 or 30 minutes. Some users report unusually vivid dreams. Since absinthe is 55% -72% alcohol, the
alcohol's effects will in any event limit the amount of thujone you can ingest. Most modern “legal” absinthes, in keeping with EU
regulations, contains less than 10mg of thujone per litre, and recent research has shown that pre-ban Pernod Fils, contrary to ill-informed
speculation by several authors, including Strang and Arnold in a widely quoted 1999 British Medical Journal article, also had very low
thujone levels.

Tequilla happens to be my favorite get drunk drink, but i know the "tequilla high" pretty well, for one thing, i never really get tired when i drink tequilla. Definatley a different sort of drunk then anything else i'm familiar with.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 23
Dont take shots. put a fork over an empty glass with the sugar cube on top and pour 1/5th of absinth in the glass, making sure the sugar cube gets drenched in it. Then light the sugar cube on fire, wait for it to start "boiling", and make it fall in the absinth, stir a bit so everything gets mixed, then add water: 4 times the amount of absinth.

Drink ONLY 2-3 glass at most per night if you've never tried it. If its real absinth its hallucinogen and can be quite painful for your stomach if you drink too much.

Have fun
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 23
sweet!!!!!! thanks for that^^^

Haven't tried it yet, but a friend is bringing some from Australia
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 23
Edit -- self-moderation (don't think this thread will survive, but interested to see if it does
biggrin.gif
).

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 23
I've never tried the stuff, but then I'm not much into spirits. I saw a load of varieties in shops when in Barcelona recently.

I've also seen it feature in a couple of films. Moulin Rouge (the new one) has a sequence where it makes them all see Kylie Minogue. From Hell features Johnny Depp doing the sugar cube thing.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 23
i've always wanted to try absinthe, now i'm REALLY dying to.

are there any ways to get moonshine absinthe, made the "old-fashioned way?"

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 23
le fee verte is a really good absinthe page with links to distributors which sell to the US.

i think a large part of the attraction to absinth is the history and the ritual of drinking it. as far as hallucinatory affects however...i think if you drink anything with over 150 proof alcohol content, of course you're going to see green fairies!

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 23
Fruko Schulz is of the lower quality Czech variety of absinthe. The best stuff comes from France and emulsifies when cold water is dripped into it, turning it an opaque light green. As posted above, http://www.feeverte.net/ is best place online to find information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back