About to watch Hostel
Sep 1, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Crandall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't gotten around to seeing the sequel, 28 Weeks Later. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Honestly didn't like it. The first had a better balance of action and thought. (from what I remember)

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another scary and unsettling movie (also foreign) is Funny Games. It has hardly any gore but is quite disturbing nonetheless.

X2. Funny Games was one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen, in a good way. It's an Austrian movie about a family on vacation who are visited by two seemingly normal 20 something guys that become increasingly creepy and menacing until all hell breaks loose. I agree that it manages to be much more disturbing than any of these torture films without showing much gore at all, mainly because you actually care about the characters. There's a weird twist in the middle of the movie that I'm not sure was necessary, but I highly recommend this to anyone who likes a great thriller.

Another lesser known thriller from Europe that I've loved was "With a Friend Like Harry." And if you never saw the awful American remake of the movie "Vanishing," check out the original version. It's quite good.

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #33 of 44
Hostel wasn't bad...I found it entertaining.

If you want to see a torture flick that'll peel your skin, check out "Flower of Flesh and Blood" from the Guinea Pig series in Japan.

I have a high tolerance for that kind of stuff and "Flower" almost made me puke. I felt ill, and very much like a deviant when it was over. An interesting experience to say the least, though not one I care to repeat.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hostel wasn't bad...I found it entertaining.

If you want to see a torture flick that'll peel your skin, check out "Flower of Flesh and Blood" from the Guinea Pig series in Japan.

I have a high tolerance for that kind of stuff and "Flower" almost made me puke. I felt ill, and very much like a deviant when it was over. An interesting experience to say the least, though not one I care to repeat.

Kichiku is actually much, much worse, since Flower just cut to the chase with no build up to the maiming. Kichiku on the other hand is a grueling churn to the finish with even more graphic ultra violence. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a strong disposition, and is a fan of horror. It's the most incredible glimpse into the state of total depravity, savagery and nihilism that man can sink to.

Here's a great review at Snowblood Apple (which is a great resource for Asian horror aficionados): http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/kichikudaienkai.htm

I also mixed up Land of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead, I found Dawn of the Dead (remake) excellent, and Land to be merely okay.

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kichiku is actually much, much worse, since Flower just cut to the chase with no build up to the maiming. Kichiku on the other hand is a grueling churn to the finish with even more graphic ultra violence. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a strong disposition, and is a fan of horror. It's the most incredible glimpse into the state of total depravity, savagery and nihilism that man can sink to.

Here's a great review at Snowblood Apple (which is a great resource for Asian horror aficionados): http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/kichikudaienkai.htm

I also mixed up Land of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead, I found Dawn of the Dead (remake) excellent, and Land to be merely okay.

As I said before, Romero's films benefit from repeated viewing. The "Dead" films are about the ghouls, as a reflection on ourselves. "Land" takes this theme to a satisfying dramatic conclusion, by doing something few zombie films have done beyond "Day of the Dead": make the ghouls real characters, that you remember and even come to care for. Romero is a master of the post-apocalyptic genre, and the worlds he creates--including "Land of the Dead"--are convincing and fleshed out, not alluded to and glossed over as in the remake of "Dawn". So many films are in such a rush to get to the "money shot" they miss the opportunities to terrify us at home: what if a family member turns into a ghoul? Would you be able to shoot it? What happens to society when the dead rise? What about loneliness and denial? And in the end, the ghouls stick together while the humans turn on each other. These are the themes (which some here called cliches) Romero brings to the table, and he is an old-fashioned indy-film maker long before such a term existed. He loves his films, and his ghouls, and that love shines in every frame of "Land of the Dead" as well.

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #36 of 44
I didn't see the first movie, but my friend convinced me to go see the second one. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into until I saw it and it was pretty bad. I'm really not into horror, and this movie was so f-ed up, it was just insane. What the heck goes on in the minds of the people making up this stuff? It was basically the worst movie I've ever seen. The gore was really excessive and it was just gross in general.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #37 of 44
Hostel was an absolute waste of time. No tension, no scares, no suspense, no substance.

Red, since you mentioned interest in Zombie's movies, I'd recommend both House of 1,000 Corpses and especially Devil's Rejects. Even though Devil's is a sequel, the two movies are vastly different, so if you watch House and it isn't to your liking, don't give up on Devil's, the differences are not subtle. Also, don't assume much from Zombie's remake of Halloween. I don't see a Carpenter influence in either of those movies.

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #38 of 44
Takeshi Miike's Audition came to mind when you mentioned about torture movies. no zombies though, haha.

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hostel was an absolute waste of time. No tension, no scares, no suspense, no substance.

Red, since you mentioned interest in Zombie's movies, I'd recommend both House of 1,000 Corpses and especially Devil's Rejects. Even though Devil's is a sequel, the two movies are vastly different, so if you watch House and it isn't to your liking, don't give up on Devil's, the differences are not subtle. Also, don't assume much from Zombie's remake of Halloween. I don't see a Carpenter influence in either of those movies.

Thanks, I already have both in Q.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Crandall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...It's probably not the worst movie I've ever seen

Not the worst movie you've ever seen? That's pretty extreme. What about "Glitter" with Mariah Carey
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenchi1983 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Takeshi Miike's Audition came to mind when you mentioned about torture movies. no zombies though, haha.

That guy is disturbed although he did some good more normal yakuza movies. Most of his movies are just too weird and gore for my taste. Anybody noticed that he is an actor in Hostel?

The only reason Hostel got so popular is just that Tarantino was promoting it for Eli Roth, I think they are friends or something. As usual if Tarantino says it is good than it has to be the best movie of the year
rolleyes.gif
. A phenomenon that occurs in headfi as well for some flavour of the week/month products
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not the worst movie you've ever seen? That's pretty extreme. What about "Glitter" with Mariah Carey
tongue.gif

Haha, well, I've never actually seen Glitter, although I did accidentally (it really was an accident, I swear
rolleyes.gif
) stumble across it when it was on my school's movie network when I was still in college. From what little I saw though, it looked pretty horrendous. All I remember is Mariah Carey looking like a man
eek.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #43 of 44
hostel is hilarious - dnt mind me, im one who finds horror movies comedic, the closest a movie has come to scaring me was, hrmmmm, cant even remember, i watch a lot of the mainstream movies.

the after-dark movies are quite good, they have awesome story lines!

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hostel is hilarious - dnt mind me, im one who finds horror movies comedic, the closest a movie has come to scaring me was, hrmmmm, cant even remember, i watch a lot of the mainstream movies.

the after-dark movies are quite good, they have awesome story lines!

I still contend while Hostel was marketed as a horror film, it is squarely an old-fashioned revenge/exploitation film, like the "Death Wish" series and more recently the "Grind House" films. And yes, parts of it were pretty funny too, and at the end I was whooping it up when
***SPOILER***
***The hero sees his kidnappers in front of his car, the mercilessly runs them down. YES! But what is that? One is still moving? Let's explode her with a truck then! Have not seen black comedy like that since "Toxic Avenger".
/buffer end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back