about to start my first project (cmoy), parts ordering help..
Jan 12, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 23
"If this is your first amp, put the board away and at least hack together a quick CMoy amp to acquire some basic skills."

i've soldered before (motors in physics classes, work on my guitar pickups and pots, etc). is a cmoy really that much easier?

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 23
AD8620 vs OPA2132UA op-amps?

it was written in the cmoy article that the 2132s are the most forgiving, so, being my first project, is it better to get that? i can get the 8620 for $12 from tangentsoft, while digikey has the 2132 for only $5.40.. is the 2132 going to be worse? less than half the price..

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 23
went with the 2132 amp..

just gotta sit and wait for a few days now.
frown.gif

thanks for all the help!

Jan 12, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcristy
Wyloch,

I think you may be confused by the thread title mentioning CMOY but the post is actually about building a Mint. The Mint schematic on Tangents site most certainly shows 470kOhm R2 and R6 and a 220 ohm R2:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/mint/misc/schematic.pdf

I'm going to go thwack myself. Sorry for inducing confusion. Be safe - don't read any of my messages on this thread.

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by miketriple
"If this is your first amp, put the board away and at least hack together a quick CMoy amp to acquire some basic skills."

i've soldered before (motors in physics classes, work on my guitar pickups and pots, etc). is a cmoy really that much easier?

In a word YES. The cmoy is a cake-walk compared to the MINT.

Trust me I just put together two MINT's tonight (One full, one part way). As a warm-up I did all the jumpers for a cmoy just to make sure my hands were steady enough. If you've never seen these chips up close they are about the size of a pencil eraser with eight legs. The legs are maybe 1mm wide and spaced very closely. I bought a special tip for my iron and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have been possible to do the job without it.

For the $30 you'll spend in parts on a Cmoy you'll gain invaluable experience and get yourself an amp to listen to while you solder.

My 0.02.

Nate

Jan 12, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #21 of 23
aw, well i already ordered the parts for my MINT, but i think i'll go ahead and order the parts for a cmoy, too. i've always been pretty good at soldering, but could certainly use a bit more practice
smily_headphones1.gif
i don't generally solder on boards, more like fixing wires, plugs, and misc stuff.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by miketriple
hey! now this thread really is about a cmoy.. i just put another order for the cmoy parts to get some practice on. woohoo. i'll have 2 amps before long.
biggrin.gif

you'll have more than that, trust me...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back