About to purchase my 1st Headphones!...But
Feb 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BChizzle

New Head-Fier
One question ...OK  i've narrowed down my choices to the M50 ,Phiaton MS400s, SRH840, denon 2000... Just asking once more before i decide on a purchase... does anyone recommend anything they mihgt think are better than those?  Price Range : 350$ . Needs to sound good unamped, clear, and not TOO much bass, just a good amount..  I know i have asked many times but i don't want to make a mistake on my first pair of headphones..

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 15
I know the SRH840's sound alright unamped, however I think you should go with those or the D2000's because it'll give you more room to upgrade to an amp in the future with good results.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 15
I felt an amp was almost a necessity with the D2000s. The bass was somewhat boomy and uncontrolled when unamped but tightened considerably with proper amplification. How will you be using these? I'll also throw in the Sennheiser HD25-I II in the mix. What kind of music do you listen to? Would you consider getting an amp in the future? Do you have any way to demo some of your choices?

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Whatever you do, don't say the "B" words (Beats or Bose).  People seem to shun those around here.

I noticed that too. I wonder if there is a reason for that 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
What about the Beyer's DT-880 (32ohm version)

Low impedence doesn't mean it will work well unamped. DT-880 250Ohm though more power hungry, sounded better unamped than the 32Ohm version.

Since you are recommending Beyer, the T50P is definitely worth a look. They work fine unamped.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
One question ...OK  i've narrowed down my choices to the M50 ,Phiaton MS400s, SRH840, denon 2000... Just asking once more before i decide on a purchase... does anyone recommend anything they mihgt think are better than those?  Price Range : 350$ . Needs to sound good unamped, clear, and not TOO much bass, just a good amount..  I know i have asked many times but i don't want to make a mistake on my first pair of headphones..

What kind of music do you listen to?

A lot of people like the d2000 and consider it a good all aroung headphone. I had one for a short time and liked some things about it, but ultimately switched back to a Grado. The Denon has a lot of bass though. I wouldnt say it's too much, it's just something that is one of the characteristics of the d2000. That's supposedly one of the things that's real prominent with the M50's too.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 15
Most likely will not be getting an amp in the future  . I can't really say what genre of music i will be listening to because i listen to pretty much EVERYTHING. From rap to rock you name it. I'll most likely have these on when i'm playing call of duty or something after work .. and before i sleep, just listening to music. Can someone tell me why the M50s seem SO popular amongst people?  It's either  1 ) M50   2) Beyer T50p  3) Denon 2000 ... Gonna make my purchase tomorrow.. excited!

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Can someone tell me why the M50s seem SO popular amongst people?  It's either  1 ) M50   2) Beyer T50p  3) Denon 2000 ... Gonna make my purchase tomorrow.. excited!

Because although it is cheaper than most of the mid-range full-sized cans, it delivers?

I'm just worried that if you are insistent of not having too much bass, both M50 and D2000 may not be your answer. Then again, you'll never know until you try...

Just to throw a curveball, ATH-ES7 works pretty well unamped as well, stylish and gives nice details. Not too much bass too. :p

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Well if you're going unamped, I'd suggest getting something other than the D2000. While I really liked it when I had it (especially modded) you end up wasting it's potential without other equipment.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Most likely will not be getting an amp in the future  . I can't really say what genre of music i will be listening to because i listen to pretty much EVERYTHING. From rap to rock you name it. I'll most likely have these on when i'm playing call of duty or something after work .. and before i sleep, just listening to music. Can someone tell me why the M50s seem SO popular amongst people?  It's either  1 ) M50   2) Beyer T50p  3) Denon 2000 ... Gonna make my purchase tomorrow.. excited!

What do you like about the M50 versus the T50 and visa versa?

Edit: nevermind it looks like you've made a choice, congratulations...enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back