About to pull the trigger...
Mar 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ghigguls

100+ Head-Fier
I am having a very hard time deciding on the UM2's or the UESF 5! I am very close to getting one, but I have a very weak will that will not let me make a solid decision. Please help!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I've had both.

Comfort, fit: UM2 in a landslide.

Sound: Both are very good but I persoanlly prefer UM2. Bass is about equal with both. Mids are definitely better with UM2. Soundstage is larger with SFPro. On highs, SFPro are a little more revealing but this comes with a little bit of grainy siblance that can be fatiguing on the ears for long listening periods. It's not terrible by any means but worth noting. UM2 has somewhat rolled off highs but they are still (overall) quite detailed IEM's and there is a more natural smoothness about them versus SFPro. Both are equally very efficient so an external amp will do little to improve the sound.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had both.

Comfort, fit: UM2 in a landslide.

Sound: Both are very good but I persoanlly prefer UM2. Bass is about equal with both. Mids are definitely better with UM2. Soundstage is larger with SFPro. On highs, SFPro are a little more revealing but this comes with a little bit of grainy siblance that can be fatiguing on the ears for long listening periods. It's not terrible by any means but worth noting. UM2 has somewhat rolled off highs but they are still (overall) quite detailed IEM's and there is a more natural smoothness about them versus SFPro. Both are equally very efficient so an external amp will do little to improve the sound.

Only owned the SF5 and I think they are pretty underrated. But they always their seal breaking on me, which was kind of lame.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Hard to choose...the UM2 is a very easy-to-fit/wear IEM, but to me the sound emphasizes mid-bass, and the highs seem muffled (I prefer its cousin, the Shure E5/SCL5, but the fit isn't quite as good). The UEs are way cheaper, and have good bass and better treble and air, but there is a reduced emphasis on the mids and they may be hard to fit in your ears.

The cords have their pluses and minuses. The Westone cord is very well-built and durable, but is not user-replaceable, while the UE cord is user-replaceable (which I prefer). Long-term build quality seems to favor the Westone, but I have had no problems with any of my UEs after 3+ years (same for the Westone).

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Owned both and I would recommend going with the UM2 hands down. Buy some Shure soft flex (gray) tips if you're worried about the sound being too bassy. They were too dark for me with the included foam tips, but the Shure tips make them worlds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back