About to pull the trigger on the ad700?
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TimBlanchard

Head-Fier
Hey.

I've had a pair of HD485's for about 1.25 years, and am looking to upgrade.

I have been looking at the ad700s, but have been warned about their lack of bass, however I do not see this as much of an issue as I feel the 485s bass often clouds the upper frequencies, how much am I going to miss the quanitity of bass from the 485s?

My second slight issue is the mention of a slightly recessed midrange, again, how ressesed is it compared to other headphones?

I listen to every genre of music, classical, jazz, rock, Electronica etc, and will be powering these from my Audigy 2.

Thanks guys
beerchug.gif

Tim

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 15
I've been so tempted to buy these so many times to have a true jazz and classical headphone. I just don't listen to quite enough jazz and classical to justify having a headphone just for that though.

I have heard the opposite of them having a recessed midrange. I've heard the midrange is one of their strengths.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't feel they lack in bass quantity but rather bass impact. They do have less bass quantity though than many other headphones.

I don't personally find the midrange to be recessed on these except for maybe a little bit in the upper mids. They may sound recessed though coming from something with a very forward midrange (Alessandros or Grados).

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 15
dont worry about the recessed midrange comments. It is not recessed like some beyer or closed cans, The slightly recessed mids is only a little AT flavoring which makes for the better soundstage i feel. The senns have the recession in a higher frequency in the mids for example which make them sound dull in comparison.

get them Tim, you know your wallet wants to
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 15
Well I can say that I have never had a thought that the AD700's mid is recessed! IMO it is even foward and slightly bright.
To be honest I'm quite sick of these thread about AD700 now, there are just too much of them and people just talking about the same things.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that anyone who feels that the AD700 has recessed mids need their ears checked, because few cans have mids as forward as the AD700.

You are right they are not recessed in absolute terms but there is a part near smack center of the mids where they are a little recessed compared to other cans like senns for example which sounds quite midrangey in comparison. Upper mids clarity is great though and thats where some people say ATs have lots of mids. It all depends on the frequencies we are listening to.

The point is, they are great and they have better sound than anything near their price range. Heck, I can listen and forget the equipment listening to these more than any other cans that Ive had. (check my public profile)

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 15
I have the AD900 and it has very little bass. Not only can I not feel the impact, but without EQ, there is very little low bass. Not that I have a problem with this as I use Foobar's EQ on them, but this still doesn't fix the impact "issue." Very good headphone though, I reviewed it a year or two ago and posted it on the forums. The midrange is incredibly clear and natural, especially on voices.

I realize I'm talking about the AD900, but the AD700 is supposed to be very similar, but ... with less bass.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a FiiO E5 fix the bass issue?

Doesn't "fix" it, but it helps. I actually think they have pretty good extention, it's the quantity, impact, presence and overall depth that I have a problem with. The E5 makes them sound a little more full though. Definitely worth the investment.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBlanchard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey.

I've had a pair of HD485's for about 1.25 years, and am looking to upgrade.

I have been looking at the ad700s, but have been warned about their lack of bass, however I do not see this as much of an issue as I feel the 485s bass often clouds the upper frequencies, how much am I going to miss the quanitity of bass from the 485s?

My second slight issue is the mention of a slightly recessed midrange, again, how ressesed is it compared to other headphones?

I listen to every genre of music, classical, jazz, rock, Electronica etc, and will be powering these from my Audigy 2.

Thanks guys
beerchug.gif

Tim

The Bass is not recessed in the AD700. The difference is they just don't add more bass. See the difference?

Compared to the D2000, I'd say instead of saying the AD700 bass are recessed, the D2000 bass were blasted by cannons. The difference is huge, but doesn't mean the D2000 bass was better. As you see, I gave my D2000 away, and I listen to a TON of trance. Bass in D2000 was way bloated, and mids just smeared because of it.

For example when I listen to something like Godsmack or Tool and hear the kick bass, yeah I can hear that kick on the AD900. I can't hear it well on the D2000, it's just mostly boomy thud. That's not real bass.

For mids, it's the highlight of the AD700/AD900 I think. They both have excellent mids with good soundstage. And well that's where most of music should be, mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back