About to pull the trigger on a Sony S639F
Nov 19, 2008 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
There are just two things I need to know before I buy it.

1) I know the bass and treble are brought forward, but is the midrange masked or recessed even a little bit because of this?

2) I've heard the soundstage is great, but lacks stereo imaging. I don't understand this. Could someone please clarify? Does that mean that when something fades from right to left in the recording, I won't hear it as well as I would with other players?

Thanks, and PLEASE, if you own one of these, help me out. I don't want to spend $150 and wish I'd gotten the Sansa Clip.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 16
23 views, no replies. PLEASE help.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I can't help you yet mate, but just take consolation in the fact that i have just bought this player from amazon.co.uk.
I already have the clip, and it is superb, plus cheap as chips.
I am sure it will not be a waste of money going for the Sony, plus you could always get a clip as well for a very small footprint player, and the larger Sony for the bigger storage capacity.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm already about to run myself dry with guitar-related purchases. I really don't have enough for two players right now. That's why I'm stressing out about this.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 16
Buy both.
wink.gif

Unfortunately my S639 has yet to arrive despite being dispatched on Monday. Lord knows Royal Mail up here are known to be useless.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 16
On top of not being able to afford both, the black Sony gets restocked at Advanced Mp3 Players tomorrow, so if I decide to buy it, I need to know as much as possible before tomorrow. I could always wait, but that's no fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm already about to run myself dry with guitar-related purchases. I really don't have enough for two players right now. That's why I'm stressing out about this.

Throw some Martin 11 gauge strings on an acoustic and a couple of .40mm picks and your away- any money saved can go on the clip
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Throw some Martin 11 gauge strings on an acoustic and a couple of .40mm picks and your away- any money saved can go on the clip
wink.gif

Near future purchases:

-Epi LP Standard ($500)
-new strings (for my acoustic)
-Roland Micro Cube ($100)
-a couple of whatever Dunlop pick is most identical to a Fender medium pick (they keep snapping in half! damn plastic.)
-start saving up for Seagull Mosaic ($800) (right now I'm using a Sigma 12-string with 6 strings on it. since it's not made to be played with only 6 strings, and I prefer playing with 6, I want to get a good 6-string, and that Seagull is calling out to me.)

Right now, I have $150 in tangible cash. That is enough for one, and only one, of these players. I'm going to sell a trumpet (beginner trumpet, might not sell for much), a 1.5 year old Wii with accessories and about four or five games, some discontinued shoes, and whatever other useless junk I can find. I do not expect to be selling any of those things this week, however, and the Wii will sell closer to the holidays.

Basically, I'm pretty much broke due to the fact that every bit of money I do (and do not) have is going to be instantly spent on something.

Also, I'll admit it, I like Lights.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 16
1. No, not even being pushed back. I'm using triples which is known to have recessed mid but paired with this player, the mid is still there, properly aligned with low and high.

2. Again, it's a no. It's has better stereo imaging than D2. It's capable of tracking sound moving from side to side, smoothly. Compared to D2, this is better.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy both.
wink.gif

Unfortunately my S639 has yet to arrive despite being dispatched on Monday. Lord knows Royal Mail up here are known to be useless.

Hey, I thought Advance mp3 had free overnight delivery in the U.K.? And idon't know, your getting more memory than the clip and a nice colour screen and a better eq and better build quality. Just buy the bloody thing! Don't torture yourself
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh and don't forget it's on sale.

I thought a little peer pressure might help you make up your mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 16
Okay, I'll buy it once my parents get home with the credit card.

I've actually recently realized that I like my music a bit on the "warm, but not quite bassy" side, and the last time I heard a Sony player, that's exactly how it sounded.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 16
i pulled the trigger, expect to recive it tommorow,
toughnut, i see you also have the triple.fi, im also moving from the D2 to the S639F, did you notice any change ? from what i hear, the sony isnt as rolled off as the D2,

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 16
I don't think Sony players are ever rolled off much, if at all. They have a very warm, full sound from what I've heard.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Sorry, i never had a chance to test triples on D2 since the player was sold before i got my triples. Using UM2 with good low extension, u can easily noticed that D2 bass rolloff when compared to Sony.

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 16
The new Sony players don't suffer from bass rolloff. Too bad I'm not gonna' test it for y'all and provide graphs!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back