About to pull the plug on HFI 580
Jan 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #17 of 62
What will you be driving these with?

They both have long cords and are equal in portability.

-My 580's have a 10 foot straight cord. You can braid knot the cord. That's what I did.

-They swivel 90 degrees and fold.

-I don't really get sweaty. I don't have a problem with these. I might get the velour DT250 pads just for added comfort. They're $20 so you can do the same if you prefer them.

-The XB500's bass was a little muddy for my tastes. For me, it seemed like the sub-bass was drowning out the over frequencies/the mids and highs were too recessed. The 580 has much cleaner
lows, mids, and highs. With the right setup, you can acheive the sub-bass of the XB500 and have even more punch.
I thought I was going to purchase the XB500 just for fun since it's only $50, but my 580's are beasts; and of course my Pro 900's more so.

-If you want bass-heavy portables with good SQ, there isn't really anything better than the 580's in my opinion. I've been doing a lot of searching. I would pay $200 for the 580's if they cost that much. At $118, it was a no brainer.

-The only thing I'm concered about is the aluminum side cups. I slightly/lightly scratched the sides of my Pro 900's and I've had them for only 1 month, but I had that taken care of. lol 

$118 is the cheapest you'd find them. They also have them for $124 on ebay.
If you lived in NYC, they're also $118 at B&H.
I bought them for $100 open box. They were in perfect condition. :D

I am going to be driving these without any amp from mainly an ipod nano 6g and my computer without a sound card. I could probably opt out for a cheap portable amp like the E5 or E6.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #18 of 62

Quote:
For computer I just have a xonar DG, as for portable/on the go I will be using one of FiiO's portable amp. Most likely something under $50

Ah ok cool. Which FiiO amp are you going with? I have a friend on here that is selling his E11..unless I end up buying it. Whatever amp you end up going with, you'll definately have to tell me how it sounds :)

Quote:
That would be exceptional to drive them, and Amazon has an incredible return/replace policy.

If you return something to amazon, do you have to pay return shipping? Do they reimburse you for everything, including shipping to and from your home? Restocking fee?

Quote:
I am going to be driving these without any amp from mainly an ipod nano 6g and my computer without a sound card. I could probably opt out for a cheap portable amp like the E5 or E6.

Ok. I just plugged my 580's into my iPhone 4S w/my E5 to have a listen. They still sound nice and bassy! The highs are a little brighter from my iPhone.

I also plugged my headphones straight into the iPhone without the E5 amp and they still sound pretty good, slightly less bass. I could suggest you spend the little extra and go for the E11 if you want even more bass. I crave bass so...
basshead.gif

Can you download apps into the nano?

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #20 of 62
Jan 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #24 of 62

Quote:
Oh okay. The 10 feet cord wouldn't be good on-the-go. In high end hfi , do you mean the 680 and the 780? How do those compare to the 580?

No, unless you braid the cable (in that earlier pic I provided) which took me 3 mins to do. The cable length is down to about 4 feet. 

The 780 is brighter and less bass emphasis. It's too much for some people. The only HFI-line that has a detachable cable is the 2400. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #27 of 62

Quote:

No, unless you braid the cable (in that earlier pic I provided) which took me 3 mins to do. The cable length is down to about 4 feet. 

The 780 is brighter and less bass emphasis. It's too much for some people. The only HFI-line that has a detachable cable is the 2400. 

How did you braid your cable? Is there a tutorial for it? Only thing keeping me from getting these is the long cable.. the long cord on the M50s were a bit of a hassle when I had them.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #29 of 62

Quote:
I don't know why they didn't just make the 580 the same as the 780....1m cable with supplied extension. Ten feet of cable is far too much for portable use coiled or braided.

I guess Ultrasone learned. 580's were released in 2001.

Quote:

How did you braid your cable? Is there a tutorial for it? Only thing keeping me from getting these is the long cable.. the long cord on the M50s were a bit of a hassle when I had them.

Quote:
Bump for braids or other info

The cable length was a concern for me too.
I wouldn't have bought the 580's if I didn't know about braid knoting them.
This video started me off. I then adapted and learned a different way because when I tried to do it like this video, I ended up twisting the cable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsQ2f9E99bQ&list=FLevApKp-7xEF7CBzlntA6dA&index=1&feature=plpp_video
I ended up learning by trial and error to braid it as if it were a three strand braid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_hHhtQGNus

Here are my 580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back