About to order the Sansa Clip......read more
May 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MontyPythizzle

100+ Head-Fier
TLDR Touch 2G is broken for good, need a good DAP with similar sound quality preferably under 50$. (I know good joke, but its mainly for in the car and VERY casual listening)

Now I had a Sansa Express one with OLED Screen that just plugged into the computer with no cable, but when I compared the two in my car the Touch was infinitely times better. Does the Clip have better sound quality?

Don't mention Apple please, probably not going to buy another product from them, they always seem to die after the warranty. xG

May 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 13
You won't be, as far as I'm concerned.  The Clip+ is a huge step beyond the Express, in terms of pretty much everything, including sound quality.

May 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
You won't be, as far as I'm concerned.  The Clip+ is a huge step beyond the Express, in terms of pretty much everything, including sound quality.

Ok thanks, I was worried. I hated how expensive (unemployed right now, 200$ DAPs are not in my future for a while) the iPod was and I knew it was only time until it broke (backlight went out from moisture in the air which supposedly there is a magic water threshold you can pass before its called liquid damage instead of humidity). Before I get into a long story...... (TLDR Apple replaced it no questions asked, the aftermarket warranty place wouldn't replace it/repair with same issue)

This is good news. The express was my 2nd DAP and was pretty nice, but having to go back to it (while my touch was in RMA for the first time for same thing) just proved to me how nice the touch sounded.

May 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 13
You can find a 4GB Sansa Clip+ pretty much anywhere for under fifty bucks, and it accepts up to 32GB microSD cards, so you won't have to break the bank to carry a large collection of music around with you.  I hope it works out for you.

May 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 13
I have a Cowon J3, iPhone 4 (using EQu app) and a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+.
The Clip+ is mainly used at the gym. It never fails to entertain and surprise with it's convenience and sound quailty.
It's a great buy- i hope you enjoy it like I do.

May 9, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 13
Ditto.  Major fan of the Clip/+.  Won't astound you with earth shattering, crystal clear sound or anything, but won't disappoint either.  Definitely an above average sounding player and with Rockbox, features and tweaks galore.  Add in the expandable memory, small form factor, and relatively cheap asking price and it's a great buy.

May 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Don't want to hijack the thread, but would the Clip+ be good for camping? Currently have the Cowon D2, but want something less bulky to take on trips, preferably something that could fit into a Nalgene bottle for safe storage.

May 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but would the Clip+ be good for camping? Currently have the Cowon D2, but want something less bulky to take on trips, preferably something that could fit into a Nalgene bottle for safe storage.

I have both of those players too, but the D2 would be the one to take, because of the battery life.

May 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Thinks I dislike about the Clip+ (we've two in our house - neither is rock boxed). 

Terrible FM reception 
Battery life is poor
Buttons are quite stiff (annoyingly IMO)
Volume buttons are on the left, whereas its on the right on everything else

Things I like,

Great sound
Tiny
Standard USB cable (though its a bit picky about USB cables when charging)
Built in radio vs no radio on other MP3 players
SD cards

Battery life is bit awkard its always seems to be out of charge when I grab. On the flip side because its standard USB I can grab a USB battery pack and any cable and charge on the go very easily. Whereas I've only got one Sony cable for my Sony A818, and never seem to have it with me. But it lasts forever so its not that big a deal on the Sony. I mainly bought the clip because of the radio, and expansion. But I've kinda stopped using it, prefering my old Sony A818 , and radio on my Nokia. The SQ is great but I don't think its better than my old 1st gen shuffle. The clip is is more different than better vs my Sony so hence it didn't replace the Sony. 

May 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 13
I too have a Sansa Clip+ (8GB + 16gb microSD) and I love it. I just bought also a Sansa Fuze (first version) that's equally good soundwise (and uses microSD). I bought a refurbished 2GB unit for about 25 Euros shipped from UK.

May 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Thinks I dislike about the Clip+ (we've two in our house - neither is rock boxed). 

Terrible FM reception 
Battery life is poor
Buttons are quite stiff (annoyingly IMO)
Volume buttons are on the left, whereas its on the right on everything else

Things I like,

Great sound
Tiny
Standard USB cable (though its a bit picky about USB cables when charging)
Built in radio vs no radio on other MP3 players
SD cards

Battery life is bit awkard its always seems to be out of charge when I grab. On the flip side because its standard USB I can grab a USB battery pack and any cable and charge on the go very easily. Whereas I've only got one Sony cable for my Sony A818, and never seem to have it with me. But it lasts forever so its not that big a deal on the Sony. I mainly bought the clip because of the radio, and expansion. But I've kinda stopped using it, prefering my old Sony A818 , and radio on my Nokia. The SQ is great but I don't think its better than my old 1st gen shuffle. The clip is is more different than better vs my Sony so hence it didn't replace the Sony. 

Rockbox will help with the battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back