About to order parts for a Cmoy with modified ground + TREAD. Please check it
Dec 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #16 of 19
So in that schematic, AC-2 is connected to GND which is also connected to -Vout?

Although the TREAD was made for AC in, would there still be benefits for me to use it with my linear regulated PSU?

I did not mean that I'd be using SMT power caps, although my last post did suggest that XD.  SMD film caps are still good for decoupling though, right?

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
So in that schematic, AC-2 is connected to GND which is also connected to -Vout?
AC-2 is simply the second AC connection.  GND on the DC output of the circuit is typically the Negative part of the DC.  The AC is not really acting as a ground on either connection - there is no polarity.

EDIT: BTW, grounding for an AC-DC power supply is not a trivial subject.  It has a direct effect on the ripple/noise performance.  No schematic can reflect the grounding scheme - that's all in the layout or PCB.

Quote:

Although the TREAD was made for AC in, would there still be benefits for me to use it with my linear regulated PSU?
No, not really.  A TREAD has benefits with an un-regulated DC source if you leave out the TREAD's rectifiers (even then, it's not really required to do that), but there is little advantage to adding Linear Regulation (your PSU) + Linear Regulation (TREAD).

Quote:

I did not mean that I'd be using SMT power caps, although my last post did suggest that XD.  SMD film caps are still good for decoupling though, right?

It wouldn't be the first or best choice, IMHO.  The comment was made relative to the fact that SMD caps are not superior in this scenario.  So ... if you should use "big" through-hole caps anyway, what's the point of using SMD elsewhere?

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #18 of 19

Quote:

Quote:

It wouldn't be the first or best choice, IMHO.  The comment was made relative to the fact that SMD caps are not superior in this scenario.  So ... if you should use "big" through-hole caps anyway, what's the point of using SMD elsewhere?

From what I've read about SMD parts, they have lower inductance and are faster, so they help with faster amps.
But of course, I dont know what I'm talking about :/
I placed the order last night and it's already been shipped, so there's not much I can do at this point.  I'm sure the SMD caps will work just fine.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #19 of 19
Well I returned home from college yesterday and was able to complete the amp (I was lacking caseworking tools).  I'm still working on my building skills, but it turned out ok, and generic looking.

When not plugged into a source, it is dead silent, something that my previous cmoy was not.  I'm not sure if this is because of the better design or because my last build just sucked, but I like the silence.  This is using the same wall wart
I forgot to bring my multimeter back with me, so could someone tell me if I have to turn a trimmer clockwise or CCW to increase the voltage?
And how can I discharge the capacitors more quickly so it doesn't stay on so long after I switch it off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back