About to order my first IEM's!
Dec 26, 2006 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going to buy the ER6i's later tonight.
This should be the final touch to my audio setup, other than maybe a portable amp. Well, at least until I'm out of school.
biggrin.gif

Is there anything I should expect with IEM's, or the ER6i's, to be more specific?
I've been told that these are comfortable, which is a good thing. I really want them for their isolation, though. Going around town with KSC75s isn't always great in noisy environments.

I'm actually really excited about this purchase.
biggrin.gif
I hope it lives up to my expectations. It should keep me happy for a long time.

I seem to be spending alot this year compared to previous years. Does anybody feel the same way?
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 9
$105 for the im716. The only reason I was really getting the ER6i is because the price is right. I could afford it, but I really don't want to spend it.

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 9
PYRO, there's always something better ... and as long as you're on Head-Fi, you're virtually always going to keep upgrading. There is no final touch.
very_evil_smiley.gif

However, while you should always consider something else and pay attention to recommendations on the threads, don't drive yourself crazy.

I was going to get (the very different) Westone UM2's, but I decided to save some money (as in $200+) and for now go with known isolation and form (I had previously gotten ER6's) and get Etymotics ER6i's. I happen to use my IEMs mostly on the go (airplanes, etc.), and I use them primarily for the isolation, and that works for me. Other people have different usages/needs.

If you're going to be home sitting on the couch, you can do better, in terms of pleasing audio, but if you're going to be listening on public transportation, in noisy areas, etc., the Etys, Altecs, Westones, Shures, UE's, etc. will be welcome relief from the intrusion of outside noise, and the lower-end ER6i's should be a good introduction to IEMs.

As for expectations: With foamies (particularly Comply short foamies), they're very small and comfortable. They fit pretty deeply into the ear and there's very little "sticking out." There's some debate about the tri-flanges (or modded bi-flanges) isolating better and sounding better, but many find the flanges more instrusive, particularly new users. Don't expect a boatload of bass -- if you want to rattle your fillings, use a pair of headphones. The bass will be there with the ER6i's, but you will hear it, not feel it. There's some microphonics with the thin cables ... overall, the ER6i's are sturdier than they might seem at first.

The ER6i's at that price are an excellent value, but yes, you can always do better when spending under $900 for IEMs. From this point on up, the increments in sound improvement -- while evident -- may not be as clearly dramatic as the increments in price.

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 9
If you are a basshead, or not, the ER6 are (IMHO) anemic in that respect.
blink.gif

Save a bit, do a little research, and get a pair of IEMs that you will respect.
cool.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PYRO, there's always something better ... and as long as you're on Head-Fi, you're virtually always going to keep upgrading. There is no final touch.
very_evil_smiley.gif

However, while you should always consider something else and pay attention to recommendations on the threads, don't drive yourself crazy.

I was going to get (the very different) Westone UM2's, but I decided to save some money (as in $200+) and for now go with known isolation and form (I had previously gotten ER6's) and get Etymotics ER6i's. I happen to use my IEMs mostly on the go (airplanes, etc.), and I use them primarily for the isolation, and that works for me. Other people have different usages/needs.

If you're going to be home sitting on the couch, you can do better, in terms of pleasing audio, but if you're going to be listening on public transportation, in noisy areas, etc., the Etys, Altecs, Westones, Shures, UE's, etc. will be welcome relief from the intrusion of outside noise, and the lower-end ER6i's should be a good introduction to IEMs.

As for expectations: With foamies (particularly Comply short foamies), they're very small and comfortable. They fit pretty deeply into the ear and there's very little "sticking out." There's some debate about the tri-flanges (or modded bi-flanges) isolating better and sounding better, but many find the flanges more instrusive, particularly new users. Don't expect a boatload of bass -- if you want to rattle your fillings, use a pair of headphones. The bass will be there with the ER6i's, but you will hear it, not feel it. There's some microphonics with the thin cables ... overall, the ER6i's are sturdier than they might seem at first.

The ER6i's at that price are an excellent value, but yes, you can always do better when spending under $900 for IEMs. From this point on up, the increments in sound improvement -- while evident -- may not be as clearly dramatic as the increments in price.

For someone who has only had the $17 Sony pair, with a CD player, from Walmart, would these suggestions be still the case, or should I consider something like Creative Labs on Amazon, the V-Moda cheaper ones, or some other pair for $35 or so. I will use these to cut the yard, jog with, and go to sleep at night. Most times they will be on for an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back