About to make first headphone purchase. Advice on final two choices needed.
Aug 3, 2004 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

flamingantichimp

Head-Fier
About a year ago, I bought an iPod, and, since then, I have listened to music on it at a rate of more than 4 hours a day. A few months back, I found a link to HeadRoom, and I was sold that I needed new headphones.

Unfortuantely, at my ripe age of 15, I didn't know how much money I would need this summer, and decided to wait. Now I'm finally ready to spend.

I've looked mainly at the Grado SR-60's, the Senn. PX100's, and the Koss-35/50/PortaPro series.

Initally, the PX100's seemed most reccomended at HeadRoom. But that doesn't seem to be the case here, as more people prefer the low-market Koss brands.

Here is what you might want to know:

I listen to a lot of different stuff. I'd say Classical music probably gets 50% of my play time, and, honestly, that's what I'm really hoping to hear the improvement on with the purchase. Dave Matthews Band probably gets another 20% of my listening, as I am obsessed with them. After that, it is split between Rock, Classic Rock (Beatles) and Rap. Based on this, I don't think I'm looking for a huge amount of bass, but, I'm new to this.

I take my headphones around, but 75% of my listening is probably done at home. In otherwords, transportability is a plus, but not my main factor. Noise leak is related to this as well. I'll be around friends sometimes with my headphones, but mostly alone.

I'm not going to buy an amp. Sorry
frown.gif

The Grado GR-60 is seriously pushing my price limit.

The first thing I am curious about is what low-end Koss product is best? The KSC-35 gets a lot of mention, but what is the difference between it and the PortaPro?

And my most serious question is to compare the Koss offering with the Grado. If I'm going to spend a lot more money on the SR-60, will it be worth it?

Thanks a ton.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 41
buck up and pay 150-160 for some ety er4s.

they are great with a ipod

you wont have to upgrade for 10 years

mow a couple extra lawns

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 41
What is your price limit? For example, $50 buys alot when you shop wisely. In my case I bought a new pair of Sony MDR-V6s today for $51 plus shipping. That is why in my opinion one needs to set a price limit for oneself and then buy the best avaliable phone at that price.

Hope this helps,
Adam

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ama
What is your price limit? For example, $50 buys alot when you shop wisely. In my case I bought a new pair of Sony MDR-V6s today for $51 plus shipping. That is why in my opinion one needs to set a price limit for oneself and then buy the best avaliable phone at that price.

Hope this helps,
Adam

Yeah, 70 dollars probably.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ama
You can do alot with that amount. I suggest trolling the for sale forums here as well as froogling (www.froogle.com) and searching ebay before you commit to anything. You aren't in any rush are you?

Adam

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, eBay isn't really an option, as I don't have an ability to purchase from them. I lack creditcard, paypal, etc; keeping up with auctions is more than I can ask from my dad. He isn't great with computers, and the only way I can get him to order stuff for me is through a simple, no-risk process.

I have looked on Froogle some. I found the Grado's for 62 dollars, but I didn't find the KSC-35's at all. It was strange.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 41
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingantichimp
The first thing I am curious about is what low-end Koss product is best? The KSC-35 gets a lot of mention, but what is the difference between it and the PortaPro?

They are similar, but the KSC-35 sounds better... and is cheaper.

I guess you can still order them from the Koss official website. If not, they appear now and then on the "For Sale" forum here.

If I were you, I would buy the Koss KSC-35. I don't think you can get a much better quality for less than $70. You should also know that some time ago the consensus here was that they are the best headphone one can buy for less than $100.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 41
I suggest using ebay to fin "Buy it Now" option from reputable sellers with high amounts of positive feedback. I am not much for auction either.

Adam

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingantichimp
About a year ago, I bought an iPod, and, since then, I have listened to music on it at a rate of more than 4 hours a day. A few months back, I found a link to HeadRoom, and I was sold that I needed new headphones.

Unfortuantely, at my ripe age of 15, I didn't know how much money I would need this summer, and decided to wait. Now I'm finally ready to spend.

I've looked mainly at the Grado SR-60's, the Senn. PX100's, and the Koss-35/50/PortaPro series.

Initally, the PX100's seemed most reccomended at HeadRoom. But that doesn't seem to be the case here, as more people prefer the low-market Koss brands.

Here is what you might want to know:

I listen to a lot of different stuff. I'd say Classical music probably gets 50% of my play time, and, honestly, that's what I'm really hoping to hear the improvement on with the purchase. Dave Matthews Band probably gets another 20% of my listening, as I am obsessed with them. After that, it is split between Rock, Classic Rock (Beatles) and Rap. Based on this, I don't think I'm looking for a huge amount of bass, but, I'm new to this.

I take my headphones around, but 75% of my listening is probably done at home. In otherwords, transportability is a plus, but not my main factor. Noise leak is related to this as well. I'll be around friends sometimes with my headphones, but mostly alone.

I'm not going to buy an amp. Sorry
frown.gif

The Grado GR-60 is seriously pushing my price limit.

And my most serious question is to compare the Koss offering with the Grado. If I'm going to spend a lot more money on the SR-60, will it be worth it?

Thanks a ton.

I think I can help a bit, since I own the MS-1s and the KSC-35. Really, the KSC-35s are like baby grados - open, they have the bass, etc. Plus, unlike the porta pros, they are clip ons, no headband. But more than preference on how they sit on your ears, i've heard that the KSC35s sounds even better than porta pros. But that's not based on my own knowledge. But it's true that, as ear clips, the KSC-35s can be used everywhere to do anything, including lying down in bed.

But the KSC-35s are no grados. So if you can stretch to a SR-60, you won't be disappointed. But in the future you might be able to buy those 60s, or even an 80 or MS-1, and you'll still use the KSC-35s. So I say save yourself some cash, get the 35s, and save up for a great set of grados in the future.

note- buy directly from the koss website, then type in ANNIVERSARY in the coupon code box - you will get 6 bucks off, which covers S&H. so your total out of pocket cost will be 29 bucks. can't beat that.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I think I can help a bit, since I own the MS-1s and the KSC-35. Really, the KSC-35s are like baby grados - open, they have the bass, etc. Plus, unlike the porta pros, they are clip ons, no headband. But more than preference on how they sit on your ears, i've heard that the KSC35s sounds even better than porta pros. But that's not based on my own knowledge. But it's true that, as ear clips, the KSC-35s can be used everywhere to do anything, including lying down in bed.

But the KSC-35s are no grados. So if you can stretch to a SR-60, you won't be disappointed. But in the future you might be able to buy those 60s, or even an 80 or MS-1, and you'll still use the KSC-35s. So I say save yourself some cash, get the 35s, and save up for a great set of grados in the future.

note- buy directly from the koss website, then type in ANNIVERSARY in the coupon code box - you will get 6 bucks off, which covers S&H. so your total out of pocket cost will be 29 bucks. can't beat that.

I might be convinced. Thanks for the advice
biggrin.gif

I just want to make sure, whenever I first plug these headphones in, the sound I hear from Beethoven's 9th is easily better than what I have now.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back