About to make a purchase, question first.
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mainebassfishin

New Head-Fier
Nov 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 12
  I'm about to purchase a pair of Creative Aurvana lives, but I also saw this: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS/ref=lh_ni_t_dup_mi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would this be worth purchasing also, it is $16 after rebate. Currently I am just using on-board Realtek HD. I will be using these for mostly PC gaming and listening to music.
Would I notice much of a difference with the sound vs on-board?

The older or lower costing a motherboard is, the better chance the Xonar DG will make a noticeable difference.
It's really only $16 to find out.

Personally I would rather use the Gemini HSR-1000 headphones ($55), over the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live).
http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-DJ-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring/dp/B006Y2BI04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385830430&sr=8-1&keywords=gemini+hsr-1000

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 12
  The older or lower costing a motherboard is, the better chance the Xonar DG will make a noticeable difference.
It's really only $16 to find out.

Personally I would rather use the Gemini HSR-1000 headphones ($55), over the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live).
http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-DJ-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring/dp/B006Y2BI04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385830430&sr=8-1&keywords=gemini+hsr-1000

Thanks for the reply, will probably go with them, what makes them better?

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 12

Hmm that's a good question... it sounds stupid but the price. At $200 MSRP I would hope it does perform better than the CAL. Seeing as MSRP is... a very small gauge of perfromance. At the very least the MSRP price should tell you what market the company was trying to market this headphone for [apprently the market did not recieve it well :3] Non the less, without actually hearing it I only have speculation to offer

Additionally, have you installed a sound card before or opened your pc before? I'd make sure you able to use the sound card before you purchase it! See if the Unit comes with a driver cd, additionally have you installed drivers before? I know it's a lot of questions but, the first time I got a sound card for my pc... I couldn't use it for like a month lol... had to get a buddy to help me install it xD 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 12

I've used the CALs and they offer really good sound quality, for the price.
But the cups are small, so the audio (like the bass) is really shoved right into the ears.
My ears feel bothered after 10 minutes, when using the CALs.
Where I can wear the Gemini's for a much longer period of time.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 12

I've used the CALs and they offer really good sound quality, for the price.
But the cups are small, so the audio (like the bass) is really shoved right into the ears.
My ears feel bothered after 10 minutes, when using the CALs.
Where I can wear the Gemini's for a much longer period of time.

... are the drivers in the Gemni better.. I know ppl hate me for saying this BUT with bass... MORE Sheer Surface Area= MORE bass potential 

For bass heads YES BIGGER IS BETTER. ALWAYS

That said, the next question is amoung the BIGGEST which does BIG best. How ever... if the Gemini are bigger drivers I'd go for them honestly... a 40mm driver cannot physically push as much as as a 50. WHY it lacks the surface area to do so ! And sound is after all a kinetic wave moving through the air 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 12
  Hmm that's a good question... it sounds stupid but the price. At $200 MSRP I would hope it does perform better than the CAL. Seeing as MSRP is... a very small gauge of perfromance. At the very least the MSRP price should tell you what market the company was trying to market this headphone for [apprently the market did not recieve it well :3] Non the less, without actually hearing it I only have speculation to offer

Additionally, have you installed a sound card before or opened your pc before? I'd make sure you able to use the sound card before you purchase it! See if the Unit comes with a driver cd, additionally have you installed drivers before? I know it's a lot of questions but, the first time I got a sound card for my pc... I couldn't use it for like a month lol... had to get a buddy to help me install it xD 

Thanks for the reply, and yes I can install it, built pc myself.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 12
  ... are the drivers in the Gemni better.. I know ppl hate me for saying this BUT with bass... MORE Sheer Surface Area= MORE bass potential 

For bass heads YES BIGGER IS BETTER. ALWAYS

That said, the next question is amoung the BIGGEST which does BIG best. How ever... if the Gemini are bigger drivers I'd go for them honestly... a 40mm driver cannot physically push as much as as a 50. WHY it lacks the surface area to do so ! And sound is after all a kinetic wave moving through the air 

I'm not sure if the drivers are bigger in the Gemini, it's just seems the interior space on the CALs is smaller.
The diaphragm in the CALs seem to be just a few millmeters from the ear canal.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 12
So I'm kind of torn at the moment, just not sure what to go with now. Still browsing the headphone sale on amazon, whats the best value right now? Would like to keep is less then 75 if possible, but would maybe go higher.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 12
  So I'm kind of torn at the moment, just not sure what to go with now. Still browsing the headphone sale on amazon, whats the best value right now? Would like to keep is less then 75 if possible, but would maybe go higher.

Actually, there MIGHT be a Cyber Monday deal on a UE 6000 for around $85. imo the UE 6000 would be your best bet IF your willing to strech a few extra dollas 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back