About to load my iPod: 320AAC or 256AAC with VBR
Apr 20, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #31 of 38
More like "emperor's new clothes" than "golden ears"...

If you don't have a lot of music, overkill is OK. But if you're like me with six iPods packed to the gills and there STILL isn't enough room for everything you want to carry around, efficiency matters.

See ya
Steve

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #32 of 38
Just put uncompressed WAVs on that dang thang man!
cool.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like "emperor's new clothes" than "golden ears"...

If you don't have a lot of music, overkill is OK. But if you're like me with six iPods packed to the gills and there STILL isn't enough room for everything you want to carry around, efficiency matters.

See ya
Steve

Well, I'll have to admit that I have three external HD's along with my 200GB laptop drive almost filled and I don't have any of my classical ripped.
blink.gif
Still, my portable is simply for travel so there's little chance that a 30GB player won't be enough to satisfy me. Still, even though I can't hear the difference, I'm probably going to throw money away and get a high capacity ipod shortly and throw some lossless albums on there. Stupid....I know, I know. But anal retentive types like me simply can't help themselves.

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #35 of 38
If you use shuffle, when you mix classical onto the same iPod, you realize that you need more than one iPod. Classical requires "shuffle by album" while pop music requires "shuffle by song". Once you have a Classical iPod and a Pop iPod, it's a slippery slope to the Jazz iPod, the 50s/60s R&R and R&B iPod, the Pop Vocals iPod and the Ethnic music iPod... not to mention the Movies iPod, the TV iPod and the Music Video iPod.

This is retentiveness at its extreme!

See ya
Steve

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #36 of 38
i didnt realize going lossless would kill 50% of the battery life right there. i just got a new 80gb ipod as well and planned on putting just WAV on there. i would love flac support but, eh, you know...i would never use an ipod in the first place but since i got it for free.

why bother messing around with codecs and different bitrates? seriously thats like saying is 87, 89, or 91 octane better for my civic? if piece of mind must be obtained, throw WAV on there be done. but now with the whole battery life issue (i fly long flights and need at least 10 hours play) then just rip 320kbps CBR (isnt 256kpbs the max for VBR?). yah its a pain in the ass, convert flac to wav, then convert wav to mp3. god...maybe ill check out rockbox =/. this is what apple does to people, why cant everything be simple.

edit: nevermind, 5.5G ipods arent supported by rockbox. i should have sold the ipod... =(

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #37 of 38
Just put files at the lowest compression rate that sounds good to you onto your iPod. You'll enjoy excellent battery life and you'll be able to fit a month's worth of music on it. Don't let OCD ruin your listening pleasure.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back