About to get HD600s, but.......
Apr 29, 2007 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jaduermeyer

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, Im looking for some help if you don't mind. I have the opportunity to get the Senn HD600 as a gift. Naturally I'm very happy, but I have one concern. I know that the HD600's won't sound their best with out an amp. All I have is a Stereo Integrated Amp. The Model is "Studio Standard Fisher CA-880." The amp was bought in either the late 70s or early 80s. I've been using that amp with my Grado SR-60s, but I know that doesnt mean much. if it helps any, my Grados are LOUD when the volume is cranked to "8" out of a possible "40" on the knob. My question is, do you think that HD600's would get enough juice to sound good from this amp?
Here are some pictures to help.....

http://jaduermeyer.smugmug.com/galle...147886476-M-LB

Any help would be great! Thanks guys!!!!!!

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaduermeyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, Im looking for some help if you don't mind. I have the opportunity to get the Senn HD600 as a gift. Naturally I'm very happy, but I have one concern. I know that the HD600's won't sound their best with out an amp. All I have is a Stereo Integrated Amp. The Model is "Studio Standard Fisher CA-880." The amp was bought in either the late 70s or early 80s. I've been using that amp with my Grado SR-60s, but I know that doesnt mean much. if it helps any, my Grados are LOUD when the volume is cranked to "8" out of a possible "40" on the knob. My question is, do you think that HD600's would get enough juice to sound good from this amp?
Here are some pictures to help.....

http://jaduermeyer.smugmug.com/galle...147886476-M-LB

Any help would be great! Thanks guys!!!!!!

It's quite possible, but listening will tell for sure, of course. If your Grado's are that loud at that low of a volume knob position, it may be an indication of plenty of voltage gain available through the headphone output. That's exactly what the Senn's need.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 15
That's a gift! Those are wonderful,wonderful cans...It sounds like you are not going to have trouble at all driving them with your amp.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 15
I am driving my HD600 through an older Onkyo receiver and the HD600s and MS2i both sound great down at approximately the same level you are seeing with your Fisher.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 15
I never turn down gifts, regardless of whether or not I can fully take advantage of it. You should adopt the same philosophy.
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never turn down gifts, regardless of whether or not I can fully take advantage of it. You should adopt the same philosophy.
tongue.gif

seriously, HD600 are great cans even if you can't take advantage of them now there still good cans and will be better if you decide to get a better setup.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 15
Id rather get the HD580 and get the 600 grills and 650 cable.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimxSally /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why does it sound better?

And wow headphones for a gift... never had one of those before.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimxSally /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not Me! If it's a gift anyway might as well go for the HD600s and get the grills already installed! Besides; if you go back a few years and read all the posts up until the HD580 went on sale for such a good price, you'll see that the majority of listeners who were comparing the two phones prefered the HD600s over the HD580s.

If it were my wallet talking, I'd probably spring for the HD580s, but if I were totally looking at SQ and the other upgrades above HD580, I'd most likely go with the flow of a year or so ago and go for the HD600.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 15
Well if we say, they wont sound that good off your receiver or amp, will you turn down the gift
wink.gif

But I somehow feel they might sound good off your current setup. If they dont you can always get a small portable amp and that will keep you happy till you can get a high end amp.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 15
They might not sound their best out of that receiver, but go ahead and get them, they will still sound good! A dedicated amp can always be bought/built later, but if someone is offering free headphones, go for it!
580smile.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if we say, they wont sound that good off your receiver or amp, will you turn down the gift
wink.gif

But I somehow feel they might sound good off your current setup. If they dont you can always get a small portable amp and that will keep you happy till you can get a high end amp.

The headphone out of the Fisher will most certainly sound a LOT better than any portable amp.
Headphone output was not an after thought in those times, and they where generally designed to work well with high impedance phones, because there where hardly any low impedance phones back then.
Yes I know, I am that old.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back