about to get an AMB lab mini3 with no prior DIY experience. how should I prepare?
Mar 24, 2009 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
is the mini3 a tough build for beginners? i am starting from zero here. what skills do i need to prepare and practice? any advices? thanks guys!

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Check the thread here on the Mini3 build with pics - you'll be able to tell from that if it's within your capabilities or not. Cmoy is a good suggestion.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 8
an alternate take, maybe: order 2 boards
wink.gif

practice on one. if you make a big mistake you can't recover from, you can start again on the 2nd board
wink.gif

the cost isn't so much the boards, and its extra insurance for someone starting out. if you ruin the first one, its not so bad
wink.gif

to be honest, I tend to multiply-order things for insurance and I've been building for a few decades, now. but I'm weird like that.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 8
hardest part is the surface mount.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 8
if anything, buy spares for the opamps, a slip at the battery contacts or test probe at the end of the build can short one real quick. It has happend to a few people at headwize and it has happend to me. Also, SMD soldering is actually pretty easy if you have a decent solder gun, but if you blow one out at the very end of the build, its a bit tricky to remove the old opamp and to solder a new one.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Don't screw up the SMD. I built one after making a cMoy and found it very easy to build. Many people on here have started with the Mini3 also so it shouldn't be too difficult for beginners. GL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back